Regulator Choice

Whish is the best env. sealed reg choice ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SharpDog

Registered
Reaction score
I am interested in a sealed reg for warm and cold water diving. I am torn between the Apeks XTX 200 and the SP Mk17/x650. I am also looking at the Oceanic Delta 4 FDX10 and the AL Legend LX ACD.

I read the excellent x650 post http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=42931 and the Mk17/x650 combo os less expensive than the XTX200.

The Apeks seems universally praised by all. I am wondering about the dry env. sealing system. How much of an advantage is that? The only downside of the XTX200 that I have heard is that the bubbles tend to interfere with your vision when not moving forward.

I intend to start searching (recreationally) with a metal detector and wonder if this will be a minor (or major) annoyance.

Which reg would you choose? Either of the ones above or another choice. Cost is not a factor (within reason) as I want excellent quality, reliable equipment that will last as long as possible and I realize that you get what you pay for.

I have 3 Oceanic Delta IV/FDX-10s. I LOVE them!

I also had a couple Atomic B2s. They're not in your list, but excellent regs. I preferred the Delta IVs.

SharpDog:
I am interested in a sealed reg for warm and cold water diving. I am torn between the Apeks XTX 200 and the SP Mk17/x650. I am also looking at the Oceanic Delta 4 FDX10 and the AL Legend LX ACD.

I read the excellent x650 post http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=42931 and the Mk17/x650 combo os less expensive than the XTX200.

The Apeks seems universally praised by all. I am wondering about the dry env. sealing system. How much of an advantage is that? The only downside of the XTX200 that I have heard is that the bubbles tend to interfere with your vision when not moving forward.

I intend to start searching (recreationally) with a metal detector and wonder if this will be a minor (or major) annoyance.

Which reg would you choose? Either of the ones above or another choice. Cost is not a factor (within reason) as I want excellent quality, reliable equipment that will last as long as possible and I realize that you get what you pay for.

Let me start by saying all these regulators are fantastic choices. I chose the Aqua Lung because I’ve used it at depth in cold, deep conditions. The Scubapro’s I own are kind of sensitive at depth in cold water, but I do not own the Mk17/650. I do however own a D400 MK20 and G250 MK10. My son owns an Oceanic and it is a great performer as well. The Apex I have not tried but owned one of their octos at one time and enjoyed it. I usually use my Maximus in extreme conditions and think the Aqua Lung would be my next regulator of choice because of performance, but I do love the Maximus as far as moisture retention and durability.

As far as cold water performance, all of the regs you have listed will prove reliable and will last years with a little bit of care.

Of the choices, I prefer the MK17/X650, although I would change the X650 into the G250V. The G250V has recently been released, replacing the G250HP. It has a metal air barrel, meaning that it will breath with moisture helping eliminate dry mouth. The G250V is identical to the old Graphite G250. IMO, For SP, this is a step in the right direction because some of their old designs are better than their current ones. It depends on your budget, but the MK17/G250V will work for anything and has decent routing.

DA_Aquamaster:
Cold water testing has been done with it at high flow rates at 160' depth and it was the only reg in the test group that did not freeze flow during the 200 minute test.

SharpDog:
XTX second stages have convertible exhaust ports, narrow (like the ATX) or wide (similar but not identical to the TX50). Link (from apeks.co.uk). Its not an issue for the XTX line. Even for the ATX line, if your trim is good the bubbles won't bother you.

If you dive cold water, the env. seal is a must-have. Even if you don't dive cold water, its a nice-to-have.

I personally am not ready to trust the auto close devices on first stages, ask me after they've been out 10 years or so. :eek:

Edit: I chose the XTX200, but only because you didn't list the XTX100 as an option. :)

John

I personally like the Delta 4. I dove it for a week in August and must say that the DVT worked as advertised. At10psi, the valve closed and no water/contaminants could enter (or so it seemed).

You're missing three other excelent choices: Poseidon, Atomic and Mares.

Definitely don't forget about Atomic.....throw the M1 up on there...

also is the Dive Rite Hurricane enviro sealed? I think it is.....and that seems to be the big reg with all of my hardcore cave diving buddies.....

aquaticmatt:
At10psi, the valve closed and no water/contaminants could enter (or so it seemed).
You may have a typo there, air at sea level (1 atm) is ≈ 14.7 psi.

John

Back
Top Bottom