Regulator configuration for rec diving

What is your regulator configuration for rec diving?

• Short hose primary with integrated second

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • 40 " primary with integated second

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • 5 or 7 foot primary with integrated second

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Short hose primary with 40" Octo

Votes: 26 16.4%
  • 40" primary with short hose bungeed second

Votes: 36 22.6%
  • 5 or 7 foot primary with short hose bungeed second

Votes: 68 42.8%
  • Other, explain in post

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • A version of sidemount

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • A version of double hose

Votes: 4 2.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As usual, I checked Other

2x 40” hoses

Primary under Right arm

Secondary under left arm reg on rubber necklace

Both have swivels

7’ hoses are NOT ideal for diving in significant current.

The 5 ft hose also allows for side-by-side swimming while air sharing

This is why my Alternate/Secondary routes under my left arm (40" same as primary and also on a swivel) It feeds from the most convenient port.

If you need to share, swimming side by side, then this has the most natural hose routing. If you need to be in control of an ascent face to face, then again the most natural hose routing - none of this "S" shaped hose route nonsense you get with a standard (none LH) config)

7’ hoses are NOT ideal for diving in significant current.

+1 on the why not? A properly secured long hose is the most secure, streamlined hose configuration I’ve found. I dive in strong current all the time. If you’re having issues with it in heavy current you’re doing it wrong.

What on earth are you talking about?
Well clearly you’ve never dived in real current. I don’t mean easy drift dives off Coz. I mean proper current, where to get over a ridge you’ll need your muck stick and reef hook for grip, if you pop over the top on a scooter you go backwards, where your reg vibrates and your mask floods with water pressure, when you launch your dsmb and it stops going up, and goes down.

When you’ve got a significant number of dives in these conditions, often with down currents then we’ll discuss And yes I’ve done an emergency air share under these conditions and know long hose is absolutely the wrong solution.

How about you?

To donate a reg from a long hose, you can just un-loop the last couple of feet of hose from around your head, leaving the rest of it tucked in/under whatever is retaining it; you don't have to deploy all 7 feet if you want to ascend immediately, face to face.

Well clearly you’ve never dived in real current. I don’t mean easy drift dives off Coz. I mean proper current, where to get over a ridge you’ll need your muck stick and reef hook for grip, if you pop over the top on a scooter you go backwards, where your reg vibrates and your mask floods with water pressure, when you launch your dsmb and it stops going up, and goes down.

When you’ve got a significant number of dives in these conditions, often with down currents then we’ll discuss And yes I’ve done an emergency air share under these conditions and know long hose is absolutely the wrong solution.

How about you?
Having spent a few hundred hours swimming and scootering in rip your mask off flow (and even on your "easy" drifts on wrecks in SE Florida), I think your opinion on the matter represents a severe lack of proper technique in at least one if not more of the following: equipment use, gas sharing techniques, and or effective teamwork.

How about you?

Brisk drifts aren’t significant current. Its almost baby diving

I'm not really sure you could be more condescending but I'm sure you'll try.

Back
Top Bottom