• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Regulator configuration question

Discussion in 'Hogarthian Diving' started by Reelman1, Oct 1, 2013.

1. MKrauter

MKrauter Solo Diver

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    Just make sure to mention what procedure to follow during an oog event. Or practice an S-Drill on land before diving so that they know what to expect.

2. JohnN

JohnN Solo Diver

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    FWIW, I put a yellow cover on my primary (HOG D1). Since I almost never dive with the same 'buddy', my best guess is a panicked OOA diver is going to grab the first working regulator they see, but anything I can do to make that less stressful seems like a good idea

JohnoAU and rhwestfall like this.
  3. Reelman1

Reelman1 Angel Fish

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Thanks for the opinions! Yeah, I'm not worried about my buddy as much as another diver...

4. rhwestfall

rhwestfall Solo Diver

+1 +1 +1

Imperative a demonstration of how it works takes place. Around here, and aside from one caver/tech instructor, I haven't come across a single person who dives a LH/BO aside from me. When I'm out on a charter with folks from other areas, yep!

5. dumpsterDiver

dumpsterDiver Banned

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    You could change the primary to the yellow second stage... but I warn you.. you will have to explain at least 3 times on every trip: Why you have your octopus on the wrong hose...[​IMG]

nimoh, mruseless and rhwestfall like this.
  6. mruseless

mruseless DIR Practitioner

If your regs are truly identical except for color, then yes I would set up the yellow one as your primary. You may have to have them re-tuned though. Often times octos are detuned to prevent freeflowing. If this is the case you will have to have the octo tuned up and the necklace reg de-tuned. Or, if it's just the purge valve cover that's yellow, just swap purge valve covers. And order another black purge valve cover, now you've got two black regs.

Prior to getting GUE trained, my wife and I used a longer yellow hose on our primary with an Air2 type setup. Bottom line is that someone who is near panic will have some tunnel vision and most likely be looking at your face/head/eyes. That means they will go for the reg in your mouth.

7. Xaryo

Xaryo Barracuda

That is exactly what I did, when I converted to the longhose and bungee necklace.

I had a Apeks XTX50 (black) and XTX40 (yellow cover and thingy on the side). I just swapped the yellow cover from the xtx40 (bungeed necklace) to the xtx50(primary longhose).

the one in my neck is not going anywhere, the necklace is held prisonner to the reg by the tie-rap holding the mouthpiece.

8. Super Noob 1258

Super Noob 1258 Divemaster

How do you swap the covers?

9. mruseless

mruseless DIR Practitioner

With many regs the purge valve cover just unscrews. Don't know about Apeks, never had one. A few brands require tools like a screwdriver.

10. FredGarvin

FredGarvin Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    What is a LH/BO ?

Gravelous1