Regulator for Pony Bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UaVaj

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Recently I have been diving beyond 120+ and I am seriously considering a pony for that "what if" day. (I will never run OOA (I am that diclipine) - this is for incase of equipment failure at depth)

I know which tank I want - a XS Scuba X4 HP19.
As for regulator - I am not sure what to get? Not sure what makes a great backup? Only thing I could think of so far is - one that does not easily free flow.

My primary is a Scubapro MK25/S600 and it breathes wonderfully. Chances are I will get an identical setup and just get a hi-vis yellow mouth piece for the backup.

Please give recommendations and why?

Last edited:
UaVaj,

I dive with a 19 cuft pony that is attached to my main tank. I always dive with it (shallow or deep, buddy or solo) so that I may be familiar with my gear. I do have a sling setup with a 13 cuft as well, but I prefer the tank mounted setup. Over the course of about 100 dives, I've never had a problem with my backup free-flowing.

As far as what regulator, if I were you I'd do what you have proposed - "an identical setup and just get a hi-vis yellow mouth piece for the backup".

I use a ScubaPro "bottom of the line" MK11/R395. They're rather indestructible and widely used as rentals. Perfect for ponies.

Posted via Mobile Device

buying a top of the line regulator (scubapro mk25/s600) and bearly never using it would be a waste.

buying a bottom of the line regulator (scubapro mk11/r395) does seem reasonable for the task.

anyone else have anything else to add.

i use a al19 for the bottle and a mares nikos 2nd stage with a mares mr12 dfc first stage

what about one of the Zeagle Razor or H2Oydessy regulators? (for discussion).

they have the first stage integrated in the valve, so less objects protruding to catch on stuff.

what do people think of these?

033052_big.jpg

Razor.jpg

EDIT: Note, I think the H2odyssey and Zeagle Ranger above reg systems are exactly the same but just with a different logo on them. (they are both OEM'd from the same design).

i have looked @the zeagle 's but if the wife see's one more "divegear" charge on the card i'll be sleeping outside with my gear..i guess if i inflate the ranger bladder half way it'll work for pillow

I use the H2Odessey version of the above and it works great. I use it on an AL 13 mounted to my main tank and route the hose under my right arm and clip off to right shoulder D-ring.

I find a 19cf bottle a little small for a pony bottle . i would look into somthing like a luxfer al30 and then sling it under your arm so the reg is easy to get at and tun on and off and see leaks as the happen . Reaching the valve is a big deal just incase sombody turned if off on the predive back mounted tanks are hard to reach to turn on if needed in a hurry and its hard to notice a leak when its behind ya

As for the reg any first and second is fine scubapro mk2/r190 is a good choice i prefer din over yolk just for the fact of the captured o ring and impact of a bottle you dont use often.

And practice using it bigest thing i have seen with divers is lack of practice in this kinda stuff take a after noon in shallow water and get used to doing the switch

I use a Mk2+/R295 on a slung 3l Faber 232.

My logic is:
It is a redundant source
It is not a stage bottle, I do not intend to use it
Pony regulators get more abuse/neglect than the one you're breathing from all the time
The regulator does not have to offer fantastic performance

However:

The regulator MUST work

MK2s have been around for ever and, as many thousands of of rental units world wide will attest, continue to deliver air no matter how badly treated they are. And when it eventually dies (if you use it in salt water it will) and you've never used it, you won't feel too bad because it cost (in comparison to a MK25/S600 at least) almost nothing in the first place.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom