Regulator ID

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DaveV

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi All,

New to the board... Certified in High School, and then took 20 years off. Started diving again last year. Picked up some old regs from my Dad, and need some help with positive ID.

GetAttachment.aspx

The first unit is a "Hydronaut" Model by Waterlung which was made by "Sportsways Inc." Serial number 00803. Pretty sure it is circa 1969, and I will probably just let it look good on the bookshelf. Thoughts?

GetAttachment.aspx

ScubaPro Model 109 or R109? It is paired with a MK10 1st stage? My best guess is that this was purchased in 1984 or 1985, but don;t really know.

From what I can tell from other board posts, the Scubapro is an excellent setup and parts/service is still readily available...

Let me know what you folks think!

Thanks,
Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to scubaboard!

The ScubaPro Mk-10 with a -109 2nd stage is a great reg, and "modern" regulators have not done much to improve on the design. You would need to spend LOTS of money to do only slightly better performance-wise. Once competently serviced, I'd use that regulator in a heartbeat.

There are lots of fine folks on this board that can help with service-related questions for the Mk-10 and the -109.

Disclaimer: I'm a bit biased. I currently own three -109's, and am looking fondly at another one, so that I may end up with an even four.... they are nice 2nd stages.

Best wishes.

Images are not being displayed. Here are the links Pic 1 Pic 2

Looks Like a 5 not a 10.

Once you get a few more post, you can attach photos so we can see them.
I agree with LeadTurn on the the MK-10/109 (assuming it is a MK-10), a great reg in it's day and still one that can hold it's own against the shinny new ones, rebuild it and dive it. Without seeing it, the 109 could also have been paired with a MK-5 (another great reg and well worth keeping) and I have seen some MK-2s with them. I would not hesitate to dive a 109 with a MK2 as well. Once we see the photos, we can easily identify it.

The SWs on the other hand is not so good news. There are no service kits for them, HP seats are hard to find and to my knowledge, there are no substitutes for the second stage diaphragm which is almost certainly hard by now. With a lot of effort it can be restored but unless you just want to restore it because your dad used it, I would not bother.

---------- Post added February 26th, 2014 at 04:22 PM ----------

Now I see them, yep a MK-5 not a 10

Hi All,

New to the board... Certified in High School, and then took 20 years off. Started diving again last year. Picked up some old regs from my Dad, and need some help with positive ID.

GetAttachment.aspx

The first unit is a "Hydronaut" Model by Waterlung which was made by "Sportsways Inc." Serial number 00803. Pretty sure it is circa 1969, and I will probably just let it look good on the bookshelf. Thoughts?

GetAttachment.aspx

ScubaPro Model 109 or R109? It is paired with a MK10 1st stage? My best guess is that this was purchased in 1984 or 1985, but don;t really know.

From what I can tell from other board posts, the Scubapro is an excellent setup and parts/service is still readily available...

Let me know what you folks think!

Thanks,
Dave

Hi Dave,

The Scubapro second stage will still be usable but the first stage will not.

The reason being that it only has 2 LP ports. For modern gear you will need 3.

- Primary regulator
- Secondary regulator (aka octopus)
- BCD

You can buy "T" splitters for LP ports but my experience (I also have a regulator from the early 70's that I don't use for this very reason), you'll never get the hose routing right. Moreover, it's an unbalanced piston type regulator with an unbalanced 2nd stage and you will find that even the modern entry level regulators will perform better in terms of ease of breathing. (especially in deeper water). Can you make it work? Yes. Is it worth it? In my opinion, No. BTW, WB2 is correct, it's an MK5.

The other regulator may not be as old as you think it is, because it has an SPG. We can't tell for sure unless you post a picture of the 1st stage. It will be from the same general era as the scubapro and it will have the same problem, which is that it is an unbalanced piston first stage with an unbalanced second stage, 1HP and 2LP ports. Basically, good for impressing the same nerdy chicks who kick on looking at old cars, but not really for diving.

You'll be looking at maybe $300 to buy an entry level regulator new and probably for about the same money a high-performance reg from ebay if you're patient. I'm going to say this is your best bet unless you like nerdy women. :wink:

Hope that helps.

R..

Herman has given you the most accurate information....

I am partial to the SP 109/156 too. Lovely 2nd stage, and worth the effort to keep diving it. The Mk-5 might work for you (but I will say that if you are wanting to upgrade, there are folks here who would express an interest in it).

You have some options. No matter what, DO NOT LET A DIVE SHOP TELL YOU THEY ARE NO-GOOD!!!!!!

Looks like the Scubapro 1st stage is a MK5. 4 or 5 LP ports and 2 HP probably has a heavy yoke but can't see it in the pic.
As WB2GLP correctly identified.

Hi Dave,

The Scubapro second stage will still be usable but the first stage will not.

The reason being that it only has 2 LP ports. For modern gear you will need 3.

- Primary regulator
- Secondary regulator (aka octopus)
- BCD

You can buy "T" splitters for LP ports but my experience (I also have a regulator from the early 70's that I don't use for this very reason), you'll never get the hose routing right. Moreover, it's an unbalanced piston type regulator with an unbalanced 2nd stage and you will find that even the modern entry level regulators will perform better in terms of ease of breathing. (especially in deeper water). Can you make it work? Yes. Is it worth it? In my opinion, No. BTW, WB2 is correct, it's an MK5.

The other regulator may not be as old as you think it is, because it has an SPG. We can't tell for sure unless you post a picture of the 1st stage. It will be from the same general era as the scubapro and it will have the same problem, which is that it is an unbalanced piston first stage with an unbalanced second stage, 1HP and 2LP ports. Basically, good for impressing the same nerdy chicks who kick on looking at old cars, but not really for diving.

You'll be looking at maybe $300 to buy an entry level regulator new and probably for about the same money a high-performance reg from ebay if you're patient. I'm going to say this is your best bet unless you like nerdy women. :wink:

Hope that helps.

R..

You are mistaking it for the early 2 port design, the one in the photo is the later 4 port design. The reason you only see 2 ports is the way it is sitting. For whatever reason SP put the ports on one side rather than all the way around the turrent like later designs. Even so, the 2 port design can be used with alternate inflators like the Air2 or it can be easily updated to the later design. Even if it were the 2 port design, I would bet a post asking for the replacement part would be quickly answered here... while on the subject, one thing that may need to be updated is the turrent bolt. The early ones were brass which had the potential to break if overtorqued so a SS replacement is a good idea during a rebuild. Many were replaced during service so it may already be SS.

Also, the MK-5 is a balanced flow through piston, not an unbalanced piston so with adjustable second 109, the reg will hold its own with most any reg sold today. Balancing the second stage is redundant and not necessary but if he so desires, the 109 can easily be converted to a balanced 156 but there is little to gain from doing so. It is far from a low end reg.

The SW Hydronaut is a balanced diaphragm stage, one of the early ones, introduced in the early 60s. It does have 2 lp ports and 1 HP port. It's biggest problem, like I stated earlier is finding a second stage diaphragm.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom