Regulator kits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While industry folks are paying attention...

I run a very small charter business with no retail side at all so I'm not an "authorized dealer" for anything. I do, however, see a LOT of gear come through and although I have no intention of doing reg service as part of my normal business, it would be very helpful to be able to sit through repair clinics to understand the inner-workings of various manufacturers equipment so I'm in a better position to field repair, if possible, or at least diagnose to the degree that I can make a recommendation to the person sitting on the boat.

For someone like me, what are the chances that I would be allowed to PAY FOR a service clinic for any of the manufacturers watching this thread?

Rachel

you would be welcome to come to one of mine. It would be a trip to north florida however as that is my territory.

PM me if you are interested

cerich:
Just a question, in your view what effect would free labor during a specified period for a reg have on someone picking one brand over the other?

For me it would have no effect. I've come to the point where I want to do my own work. I don't see any reason for the mfgr to introduce free service on regs as that would probably require an MSRP move in the wrong direction. I strongly believe that service cost should be a major consideration by the consumer, and that discounted service incentives should be used by authorized retailers to offset mfgr minimum price constraints allowing them to be more competative.

I believe service cost generally tends to be something that the consumers fails to consider and the LDS is happy to avoid until the first service bill is tallied. Free parts is often emphasized as a sales point with no mention of labor cost associated with recommended annual or warrenty service. I was just reviewing one of my Scubapro owner's manuals. It says that owners pay shipping charges associated with warrenty service but fails to mention any labor charges for that service or for annual service. One could even misconstrue that annual service and warrenty service are one in the same.

awap:
They will give them to you for free -- if you meet the conditions of the established agreement. That usually means that you purchased the reg from an authorized dealer (back scratch #1), have had it serviced within the prescribed interval by an authorized dealer (scratch #2), and have the current service and free parts installed by the authorized dealer (scratch #3). If you meet the terms of the agreement you can get free parts. If not, you don't. I see this as the manufacturer providing a reasonable level of support to their dealers.
I'm fully satisfied just to be able to purchase parts at reasonable prices. But I guess there are always those looking for more.

Exactly!!

biscuit7:
While industry folks are paying attention...

I run a very small charter business with no retail side at all so I'm not an "authorized dealer" for anything. I do, however, see a LOT of gear come through and although I have no intention of doing reg service as part of my normal business, it would be very helpful to be able to sit through repair clinics to understand the inner-workings of various manufacturers equipment so I'm in a better position to field repair, if possible, or at least diagnose to the degree that I can make a recommendation to the person sitting on the boat.

For someone like me, what are the chances that I would be allowed to PAY FOR a service clinic for any of the manufacturers watching this thread?

Rachel

Rachel,

If you attend the DEMA show this year, you are welcomed to stop by the booth and see if any spots are open in the Reg Seminars we hold there.

Scott

awap:
Yes, but with your new jeep, that warrenty includes free parts and labor. You don't have to pay $75 in labor charges to receive $25 worth of parts. As long as we are comparing the two.:14:

That new car warrenty does not cover the $75/hr labor and /or parts for routine maintenance that is required to maintain the vehicle within the warranty.

DEEPLOU:
That new car warrenty does not cover the $75/hr labor and /or parts for routine maintenance that is required to maintain the vehicle within the warranty.
But, Ford will sell me any part that I wan't so I can fix it myself. The scuba manufacturers won't.

DEEPLOU:

$75/ hr!!! You must have gotten the LEXUS. But you are correct on paying for auto service labor at a reasonable price anyway. I do pay $20 three times a year for the oil change. I used to do it myself (that did not void my warrenty) but that was more trouble than it was worth. So now I take it to any oil change place (again, no warrenty problem) to have it done. With new cars, it now years between tune-ups. I like to do that myself so I buy the good manual from the dealer but parts are readily available and cheaper at the independent auto parts stores.

So, do you think any diver has ever been told it was covered by warrenty therefore there is no charge for labor?:06:

I just finished changing the timing belt on my subaru!
Last weekend I serviced My scubapro reg...

Which do you think was the most difficult job? You've got it... the timing belt... (didn't help that the MANUFACTURER put the timing marks in the wrong place either!) Good job I took the time (No pun intended) to make sure of the marks first!

My point is that reg's really are simple to service for anyone with a modicum of common sense and the ability to handle a few basic hand tools. It helps if they are anal retentive and obsessive compulsive about cleanliness and such too... with that I agree!

So why not in fact make the kits easily available.... On the suggestion of making kits out of standardly available parts.. I think this would be easy! Who would buy one? Well I think that based on the poor (IMHO) contents of the annual scubapro mk10 kit.. for example.... (I would have liked to see a full set of new o-rings at the least... maybe 5c each is too expensive for poor scubapro) If the generic kits were well put together with ALL of the required o-rings, and maybe even a diagram explaining which goes where.. I would! Even though I can get the factory kits!

Which brings me to another point.... If the manufacturers are really bothered about safety as they claim... why do they not insist that ALL orings are replaced at annual service... or at least at SOME service interval... I don't hear of bi-annual of five year service kits... Static o-rings do wear out! perish and crack... so why take the risk of this happening... why not simply replace the lot at annual time?

cerich:
Most of the "do their own regs" posters here make the analogy of working on their car.

My new jeep has 9200 miles, I have the 100K warranty. I can't call or drop by a dealer and get free parts because I want to do the work.

No but you can buy the OEM parts from the dealer.. and do the work yourself...

I would rather there was no free parts / warranty... let the quality of the original engineering speak for itself... well engineered parts do not need to be replaced (if you can't look after your gear that's your lookout) ok if there is an obvious manufacturing fault then sure... the mfr should replace it for free... no matter who does the work....

I draw the analogy to working on a car because it is far more difficult, and time consuming than working on a reg.... and just as safety critical! Plus most here are familiar with the concept. Just as i do not trust the 18yo oik at the local service station to do my brakes... I like to do my own regs too! It's simply a matter of me taking responsibility for myself! How many times do you hear of someones car not being serviced correctly? Only today a friend told me that the local garage put his timing belt on 1 tooth out of whack! lucky for them nothing kissed! The killer is that they then blamed the rough running on his fuel injection system! I have to laugh!

Back
Top Bottom