Regulator kits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scott,

I've been following this subject for awhile, and it seems that most people blame the manufacturer for not selling repair parts, but is it not true that the LDS is the real reason? If liability was an issue why wouldn't Auto-Zone get sued everytime someone got hurt fixing there brakes? The LDS is the only one that would lose from the manufacturer selling directly to the consumer, so is it not true that the LDS demands this policy from the manufacturer?

Steve

ScottZeagle:
Ok, our warranty policy states that in order to maintain the "lifetime parts replacement", the reg has to be serviced annualy.

I use "our policy as it stands today" simply because we are always listening to input and may at some point make a change.

Scott

I too purchased four other regs for this policy alone, my primary reason initially was I wanted a spare parts kit should I need it for an emergency and when the LDS told me of the policy I purchased a reg that also allowed me to purchase a spare parts kit and then as I purchased regs for my backups and my deco tanks I bought the same manuf regs. If my car manufacturer told me that I could not change my wiper blades and bulbs in an emergency I would change car manufacturers as well.

I know this is not a aviation thread, but because people bring it up this is what I know from my backround in aviation as a pilot and airframe & powerplant mechanic.

Yes anyone should be able to get most parts, but some mfg's require you to be a service station or be trained by them to get parts.

So even if you can get parts it is not legal for avg goe blow to install them (you must hold an airmans certificate). As a pilot and/or owner you can change your oil, spark plugs, tires, light bulbs, and thats about it. As for you performing other maintenance and a mechanic doing your signoff, you could do it if he or she is watching but its the mechanic's butt in the end. As for experimental aircraft the rules are diffrent.

So as I see it No the parts issue is more like the scuba industry (because you can't install them) and not like the auto industry.

Sky divers pack and repair their own chutes...hopefully they get some training. Risk Management/Mitigation tells us the complexity/cost/control system should be commensurate with the risk....so two issues...what is the risk of an improperly maintained regulator having a catastrophic failure? And can someone without training be expected to do an annual maintenance correctly most of the time? Me, I'm totally inept when it comes to mechanics and I’ll take mine to someone who hopefully knows what there doing. But I'm probably in the lowest 3% of the population when it comes to mechanical ability.

The issue with kits is clear and simple. If anyone could get all the kits and spare parts they needed, then dive shops would have to face another source of competition from the few DIYers who might decide to make a little $$$ on the side. And some DIYers may provide better service than some LDSs.

SteveC:
Scott,

I've been following this subject for awhile, and it seems that most people blame the manufacturer for not selling repair parts, but is it not true that the LDS is the real reason? If liability was an issue why wouldn't Auto-Zone get sued everytime someone got hurt fixing there brakes? The LDS is the only one that would lose from the manufacturer selling directly to the consumer, so is it not true that the LDS demands this policy from the manufacturer?

Steve

Steve,

I don't know that the LDS demands anything....it is probably closer to a case of "well, that's the way it's always been done".

Personally, I'm not sure that the LDS is losing any money, due to the fact that people who are set on servicing their own regs have always seemed to find a way to get the parts kits. It is my personal opinionthat the LDS is better off selling the parts kits and getting the sale, as well as a customer into the store, rather than having a customer find them elsewhere and the LDS getting absolutely nothing.

I don't have any hard facts or figures, but I am willing to bet that the vast majority of reg owners DO NOT WANT to service their own regs. The small amount that do should have access to parts - again in my personal opinion.

Now, let me clear up something that was asked a few posts back, about free parts kits...

Zeagle's official policy is that, if you have your reg serviced annualy by an authorized Zeagle dealer, we will replace the parts for free. Please do notread this as "Zeagle will give me my parts for free to service my own regs" as that is NOT the policy.

No amount of PMs is going to change that, but I applaud the effort!! :D

Dive safe,

Scott

ScottZeagle:
I don't have any hard facts or figures, but I am willing to bet that the vast majority of reg owners DO NOT WANT to service their own regs. The small amount that do should have access to parts - again in my personal opinion.
/QUOTE]

You sound just like the owner of my favorite shop. There are some good ons out there, but you will need to spend some time looking.

awap:
The issue with kits is clear and simple. If anyone could get all the kits and spare parts they needed, then dive shops would have to face another source of competition from the few DIYers who might decide to make a little $$$ on the side. And some DIYers may provide better service than some LDSs.
On the flip side, I could easily see someone lubing something that shouldn't be lubed, not lubing something should, and overtightening things that should be looser.

There was a thread a while back about some first stages that were blowing apart, apparently due to improper assembly.

Maybe the manufacturers should sell parts to anyone as long as they're willing to sign a release that says "I'm working on my own stuff, and if I screw it up, it's my problem."

Terry

Like Scott my personal thoughts on this.

I really don't see a problem with a shop selling kits provided

The shop knows the person can do a good job, this would mean the individual would have taken the repair course at one time and has the latest up to date svc manual and any changes. This would be the dealer providing the data along with the parts. A shop can put anybody they want on the service course. If the course cost money (like mine) the shop could tack on a reasonable amount.

If warranty is an issue but someone still wanted to do their own gear after the course they could maybe pay $20 and get the use of the shops repair bench, overseen by the shops tech. They would save some money and still have fun doing the repair and stay in warranty. I imagine this would also have the effect of making some very loyal custumers and great relationships.

People that spend time at places like Scubaboard tend to be very passionate about diving so from reading here it would seem that 90% of people want to service their own gear. I'd bet that fewer than 3% of divers actually do.

Some of my dealers would be OK with this most would not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom