Regulator kits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What in the heck is your avatar?

PB565:
Are you saying that stalling is the only or even probable result of a failure? Pretty weak analogy.

I have been in the diving business for over 27 years. If you want access to parts to DIY, then I would suggest that you develop a relationship with your LDS. For one thing don't come to them with an attitude "I can fix my car, I can fix my regulator". Politically incorrect. As in any trade you need a mentor/teacher.

Another point, What does one do if you don't have the tools? They don't rent them. Try to make them? You may scratch and ruin the finish on your regulator to prove a point, I have seen people try to open a regulator with pliers. You can buy the tools,it will add up to a fortune, might as well bring your regulator in to get worked on. Unless you are going into business to fix regulators, it is not worth the investment. you are better off buying another tankfor more bottom time.

Getting back to the subject of this forum, parts. I will gladly sell you parts if you can show that you are competent and don't act like a jerk. I would even let you use my tools, but remember I am letting you into my house, don't s#$t on it.

If people would just realize that I am willing to scratch your back if you do mine when it itches too, people could be get a long with each other better.

eelpout:
I have been in the diving business for over 27 years. If you want access to parts to DIY, then I would suggest that you develop a relationship with your LDS. For one thing don't come to them with an attitude "I can fix my car, I can fix my regulator". Politically incorrect. As in any trade you need a mentor/teacher.

Why should you need a relationship with them to make a simple purchase? I owned a dive shop for a while and not one single dealer agreement forbid me to sell parts. There's no reason for you to need any insight at all into my attitude. All that's required is that you take money in exchange for goods...or not.
Another point, What does one do if you don't have the tools? They don't rent them. Try to make them? You may scratch and ruin the finish on your regulator to prove a point, I have seen people try to open a regulator with pliers. You can buy the tools,it will add up to a fortune, might as well bring your regulator in to get worked on. Unless you are going into business to fix regulators, it is not worth the investment. you are better off buying another tankfor more bottom time.

The tools needed to work on most regs are simple readily available and inexpensive...extremely inexpensive compared to the tools I own for doing other things. Besides with 20 or more regs and a like number of tanks the cost of all the tools is a small fraction of what service would cost in a single year.
Getting back to the subject of this forum, parts. I will gladly sell you parts if you can show that you are competent and don't act like a jerk. I would even let you use my tools, but remember I am letting you into my house, don't s#$t on it.

Maybe I'm a jerk but I don't feel the need to show you anything other than my money. On the other hand you would have to show me a great deal before I ever let you touch a reg that I was going to dive with. You'd certainly have to show me more than the silly certificates you get from the manufacturers that say your a service tech. I've had those classes too so I know what those certificates really mean.
If people would just realize that I am willing to scratch your back if you do mine when it itches too, people could be get a long with each other better.

Don't you consider getting paid and making a profit as getting your back scratched?

Web Monkey:
If your car stalls, nobody dies (usually).

Airplane parts *are* controlled. Critical parts usually have a paper trail that can be followed back all the way back to the compenent manufacturer.

Terry

My father owns a plane and does some of his own work. Parts can be purchased although anything that is under FAA scrutiny is expensive. Some work is required to be signed off on by some one with an airframe license (is that the correct term?) and that costs money also.

The one big difference here is that aviation is regulated by law and when a plane fils it may kill those in it as well as those it lands on.

Diving, on the other hand, is not regulated by law in most places so you can do it as you see fit using any equipment you like.

A failed reg should be no more than a minor inconvenience on a dive and I haven't had any of mine fail diring a dive since I started working on my own.

Working on ones own regs is easy but it's not for every one just like not every one want to work on their own car. Those people should find a good dive shop...or try to find one.

Those who do weant to do their own work should get the airspeed press books, find an honest dealer that will sell parts and maybe get with some one who has some experience doing it although it really is VERY simple.

One thing that is restricted by the manufacturers is the service manuals. Most of which give detailed step by step instructions that could easily be followed even if you've never seen a regulator before.

Mike is correct, servicing regulators is very easy if you can follow instructions. The biggest problem people have, is they are in a hurry. To properly clean and service a complete regulator set-up takes 2-1/2 to 3 hours.

I have also gone through manufacturers classes to become a service tech and again, they are not that thourough. although, one manufacturer did require you to pass a written exam after the seminar. It was a few years ago, but I still thought it was unique.

eelpout:

I'm not going to kiss anyone's ***** just so they'll take my money. What is this bizzaro world where merchants are doing YOU a favor? Any business that has that attitude can go s**t in thier hat. I'll deal with scuba toys.

PB565:
I really don't know what it is. Found it on NY Daily News website.

That's "'Kintana', the first captive bred aye-aye, an arboreal nocturnal lemur, Daubentonia madagascariensis, a native to Madagascar, to be born in the United Kingdom."

See news story here.

lairdb:
That's "'Kintana', the first captive bred aye-aye, an arboreal nocturnal lemur, Daubentonia madagascariensis, a native to Madagascar, to be born in the United Kingdom."

See news story here.

Thanks for the info. Its got to be the ugliest thing alive.

It is certainley astounding the way some dive shops treat their customers. I've seen it many places - we are doing you the favor for letting you purchase from us! Funny, I thought the usual way was the other way around. One shop in Glen Burnie, MD was supplying equipment to the local rescue divers team and he turned around and asked them "What are you going to do for me?" I thought buying his equipment was enough, even if he did mark it down, it's easy profit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom