Regulator Recommendation w/ Adjustable Inhalation Knob

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have HOGs which is now, Deep Six I believe? Not sure of the value in a Venturi adijustment? Just did 12 dives with these and couldn't really tell any distinguishable difference turning the inhalation knob?

HOGs can be found new on the cheap relatively speaking. Try leisure pro or one of the other online retailers.
No, HOG is still HOG. @cerich was with HOG and AFAIK designed their regulators. Deep 6 is a separate company started by him to move away from the standard business model of the industry.

More info here : Deep Thoughts

I'm looking for the cheapest regulator + first stage combo ...

Keep in mind that your reg is referred to as "life support equipment" for a reason. Your life quite literally depends on it functioning properly. Sometimes you get what you pay for and the "cheapest" option can prove to be very costly.

Shop carefully and be certain of what you ultimately decide on.

Last edited:
I have old Scuba pro G-250 and 109 second stages with the adjustment knob and I like it. I have them set so that with the knob all the way out they will freeflow a little on descent, so I crank them down on descent - if I forget to do it before splashing. I like to cranks them back out for storage, i think it may extend the life of the seat. Those have been my primary second stages for around 25 years I think.

I think there is a lot of truth to the mutiny of the Scubapro engineers and them jumping ship to form Atomic.
The Atomic first stages look like they are almost clones of the Scubapro MK5, which is an excellent high performance balanced reg. Some people would even argue they are one of the best regs ever made.
Not sure about the seconds but the internals look like the Scubapro balanced adjustables like the 156 and 250. The demand levers even look identical.
If the Atomic performs as well as my MK5 with the balanced adjustable second then I would say it's a damn good reg.
Anyone have an Atomic that can verify the similarities?

Keep in mind that your reg is referred to as "life support equipment" for a reason. Your life quite literally depends on it functioning properly. Sometimes you get what you pay for and the "cheapest" option can prove to be very costly.

Shop carefully and be certain of what you ultimately decide on.

What a bunch of BS. Where did you learn to dive? Didn't they teach you anything about air sharing, or were they too busy selling you an expensive regulator.

It's really tiring to hear this "life support" crap trotted out so often.

I'm looking for the cheapest regulator + first stage combo with an adjustable inhalation knob (not a pre dive switch) with 40% nitrox capability.

Side note: if someone has a specific suggestion and actually owns the device themselves, please comment as to why you like it!

Go used for the best deals. My suggestion would be a MK10/G250. But there are many, many options.

I have at last count 4 MK10s and several other balanced piston SP 1st stages. I only have one G250, but I also have several of the balanced/adjustable metal case 2nds that are basically the predecessor to the G250. I prefer those, but they're a little trickier to buy because they often need some internal parts updated and not all techs know about that.

The thing I like about these old classic regs is the combination of bulletproof reliability and excellent performance. They are very simple designs that have lasted decades and are highly proven.

Last edited:
I think there is a lot of truth to the mutiny of the Scubapro engineers and them jumping ship to form Atomic.
The Atomic first stages look like they are almost clones of the Scubapro MK5, which is an excellent high performance balanced reg. Some people would even argue they are one of the best regs ever made.
Not sure about the seconds but the internals look like the Scubapro balanced adjustables like the 156 and 250. The demand levers even look identical.
If the Atomic performs as well as my MK5 with the balanced adjustable second then I would say it's a damn good reg.
Anyone have an Atomic that can verify the similarities?

The first stages are definitely an evolution of the SP balanced piston design, probably most similar to the MK20 or MK10 plus. From the schematics, the 2nd stages look a lot like G500/S600 to me, although I've never taken one apart.

I've got the Atomic Aquatics B2 which has the inhalation control knob. It works great. I've never used any other reg with it so I can't really help with comparing to any others on the market but I've got it dialed in where it won't free flow but it's effortless to pull through. They work flawlessly but not sure if that's the price point you're looking for.

What a bunch of BS. Where did you learn to dive? Didn't they teach you anything about air sharing, or were they too busy selling you an expensive regulator.

It's really tiring to hear this "life support" crap trotted out so often.
Interesting. Somebody states something that you don't agree with, and your first instinct is not to offer different opinion and support it, but to attack their training and credibility.

Yes I was taught about air sharing, but without reliable equipment, you are compromising your safety. What if your buddy has a problem and needs you and your air to share, but your reg is flaking out? I stand by my comment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom