Regulator Recommendation w/ Adjustable Inhalation Knob

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I appreciate all the feedback guys! I get where @Hoag and @halocline are coming from. I feel like @Hoag might indeed be airing on the side of caution given a circumstance where one is doing advanced or technical dives, neither of which I really do; but at the same time @halocline 's argument makes sense as to whether or not if something is cheaper if it makes it less reliable.

I'm still on the fence between the Apeks XTX50 and the Deep6 (which seems to be a good recommendation). I've read some information on Deep6 from the creators elsewhere on the forum. My only hangup, and rightfully so, is that it is such a new company. Ughhh

I appreciate all the feedback guys! I get where @Hoag and @halocline are coming from. I feel like @Hoag might indeed be airing on the side of caution given a circumstance where one is doing advanced or technical dives, neither of which I really do; but at the same time @halocline 's argument makes sense as to whether or not if something is cheaper if it makes it less reliable.

I'm still on the fence between the Apeks XTX50 and the Deep6 (which seems to be a good recommendation). I've read some information on Deep6 from the creators elsewhere on the forum. My only hangup, and rightfully so, is that it is such a new company. Ughhh
It is a new company, but bear in mind that @cerich has been around the industry for a long time now, including design of some very well known regulators. Even if they went out of business the day after you bought your regs, whats the worst case scenario? the regs use standard parts and self-service is allowed so from a legal point of view no issues even if factory spares dried up.

Which is not going to happen. Hell, you could buy 2 sets, one for spares only, for close to the price of an Apeks setup.

Pity the OP had missed DRIS special Apeks clearance sale a while back.

A big part of technical dive training is establishing protocols and strategies for out of air situations. These involve redundant air sources, careful gas planning to make sure that one diver always has enough extra for his buddy, and even single file air sharing for exiting areas with restricted passages.

In any situation, diving in a way that a regulator failure would be fatal goes against any mainstream training and is risky. Regulators are just mechanical devices and any regulator can fail, although it's pretty rare, and usually the failure results in a leak. But it does happen, you can scan the board here and find lots of threads people posted about their regulator failing on a dive. Those people would all be dead if regulators were truly "life support." What we DO need to stay alive under water is air, and that air can come from another tank, a buddy, or even the surface in recreational diving. This is a fundamental safety aspect of diving. This is why I get annoyed when the same shops teaching the classes bring up the 'life support' line. In my case, it happened on the same day I first practiced air sharing in OW. It's very hypocritical.

With regards to regulator reliability and price, probably the most practical statement is that all regulators made and sold by the major manufacturers are reliable if they're well maintained and in decent condition. Higher end regs are sold on their performance and features. But logically, it makes sense that simple designs with few working parts that have demonstrated reliability over years of use could be considered particularly 'safe' and reliable. That would make the MK2 and USD conshelf tops on the list; neither of these are considered 'high end' regs, in fact, the MK2 is SP's cheapest regulator. The MK5/10 and the older sherwoods would also be up there in terms of millions of dives. Most current regulators are based on these designs. I'm not sure it really matters practically, because if there were any indication whatsoever that higher end regs were more prone to trouble, very few people would buy them.

In terms of buying a regulator, I wouldn't sweat it too much. It's hard to find a really bad regulator. The typical 'mistakes' people make are either spending too much (a personal decision, obviously) or getting a regulator that's inconvenient or difficult to get serviced. One other mistake is buying a DIN regulator when you are mostly using yoke tanks or vice-versa. Most regs can be converted, but there's a cost to doing that.

Have fun!

My only hangup, and rightfully so, is that it is such a new company. Ughhh[/QUOTE]

This is a risk and a substantial one for many divers since if Deep6 disappears then the only choice for service is DIY since the LDS won't support it. I applaud Deep6 and their business model (I have bought Deep6 regulators but have not dived them yet) and hope they succeed however there are risks that should be considered.

DownUnder - assuming you wants the regs serviced locally you might be best looking at what your LDS supports or what you can get serviced by mail. Servicing DIY opens up even more options including buying secondhand but that is not everyone's preferred approach and access to parts then becomes an issue depending on brand. However you certainly have plenty of choices and really cannot go wrong. I have a bunch of used Atomic regs for my family and they work great. I also have an old USD Calypso IV from my early days and some old classic Scubapro gear I rehabilitated. I enjoy diving all of them and will try out the Deep 6 in a few months.

Good luck. Whatever brand you end up with will enable you to go diving.

I'd add one more consideration for selecting a regulator. I use XS Scuba L-shaped reg which I like for its free-rotating 1st stage connector. However, I found that very few dive shops keep XS Scuba parts in stock. It is OK in Florida where big shops like Force-E have everything. But if you are in Hawaii or Curacao, forget about it. If smth fails during your trip and you need to replace, say, a spring, you'll have to rent a reg. If you order replacement parts, and wait for the shipment to come, this may take forever. So next time I'd probably stick to major brands.

I'd add one more consideration for selecting a regulator. I use XS Scuba L-shaped reg which I like for its free-rotating 1st stage connector. However, I found that very few dive shops keep XS Scuba parts in stock. It is OK in Florida where big shops like Force-E have everything. But if you are in Hawaii or Curacao, forget about it. If smth fails during your trip and you need to replace, say, a spring, you'll have to rent a reg. If you order replacement parts, and wait for the shipment to come, this may take forever. So next time I'd probably stick to major brands.
That's why Deep6 sends you a spares package with the reg, for exactly those moments. They also send a fresh one after each service.

Not yet mentioned:

-You can still find new unused older model Hollis DC3/212 regs for around $250.

-Look at Hog also.

A big factor for which brand to choose should be where you can get your new reg serviced.

Last edited:
Dive Right in Scuba just posted today they have DC3/212 regs available again for $199

Back
Top Bottom