Regulator Recommendation w/ Adjustable Inhalation Knob

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting. Somebody states something that you don't agree with, and your first instinct is not to offer different opinion and support it, but to attack their training and credibility.

Yes I was taught about air sharing, but without reliable equipment, you are compromising your safety. What if your buddy has a problem and needs you and your air to share, but your reg is flaking out? I stand by my comment.

The reason I reacted strongly to your comment is because it is a standard sales pitch that is used to sell regulators, usually expensive ones, through fear and misinformation about the function of regulators. Try to provide one shred of evidence that a more expensive regulator equates to greater dive safety. There is none, plain and simple. It's cynical and hypocritical that shops both teach OW courses that include solutions for OOA scenarios and then try to use the "life support" nonsense to sell those same students high end regulators, with the clear implication that their lives depend on their regulator (BS) AND that more expensive regs are less likely to fail. (also BS)

It's not 'you' personally that my annoyance is directed towards, it's the content of your statement. It is a statement with no credibility and indicates that you were poorly trained, at least in this particular regard. Of course, many of us were fed the same crap in OW cert class.

This topic comes up regularly on SB, myself and many others have posted about it way too many times. Hence the bad attitude.

The reason I reacted strongly to your comment is because it is a standard sales pitch that is used to sell regulators, usually expensive ones, through fear and misinformation about the function of regulators. Try to provide one shred of evidence that a more expensive regulator equates to greater dive safety. There is none, plain and simple. It's cynical and hypocritical that shops both teach OW courses that include solutions for OOA scenarios and then try to use the "life support" nonsense to sell those same students high end regulators, with the clear implication that their lives depend on their regulator (BS) AND that more expensive regs are less likely to fail. (also BS)

It's not 'you' personally that my annoyance is directed towards, it's the content of your statement. It is a statement with no credibility and indicates that you were poorly trained, at least in this particular regard. Of course, many of us were fed the same crap in OW cert class.

This topic comes up regularly on SB, myself and many others have posted about it way too many times. Hence the bad attitude.
Not once did I say buy something expensive.

I pointed out that sometimes you get what you pay for. (A comment that I stand behind, and one that goes both ways. It is also true that if you get talked into buying something that is over priced then what you get is an overpriced article.)

I also advised the OP to "Shop carefully and be certain of what you ultimately decide on." I fail to see why this is bad advice.

What is the point of getting "the cheapest" if it does not meet the OP's needs? The first reg I bought, I was looking for a low price. On the first dive I took with it, I found that below about 50 feet, it became very hard to breathe. I later upgraded to a more expensive reg that was easier to breathe and it was worth every (extra) cent I paid for it. I was able to breathe easier, I relaxed more, and my bottom times increased almost immediately.

......The first reg I bought, I was looking for a low price. On the first dive I took with it, I found that below about 50 feet, it became very hard to breathe. I later upgraded to a more expensive reg that was easier to breathe and it was worth every (extra) cent I paid for it. I was able to breathe easier, I relaxed more, and my bottom times increased almost immediately.

As a service to the OP and to the rest of us, please tell us the brand and model of regulator that under-performed.

I'm looking for the cheapest regulator + first stage combo with an adjustable inhalation knob (not a pre dive switch) with 40% nitrox capability.

I was looking over the Apeks XTX50 which is a bit on the high side for the amount of diving I do.

Does anyone have a more economical suggestion? I really like the ability to dial in my inhalation depending on depth and generally how I am feeling.

Side note: if someone has a specific suggestion and actually owns the device themselves, please comment as to why you like it!

Why are you looking for this feature? I've been diving with Apeks regs that have balanced 2nd stages and I'm confident in saying that if the reg is built well enough, you probably don't need adjustable cracking. To my mind it's a feature you pay extra for when you could have put that extra money into buying a better reg.... Just a thought.

R..

As a service to the OP and to the rest of us, please tell us the brand and model of regulator that under-performed.

If I could remember, I would, but to be honest, it was so long ago (15-20 years ago) that I doubt that the reg is even still a current model and if it is, I would imagine that it has been revised several times since then. I may not remember the model, but I certainly do remember the experience.

If I could remember, I would, but to be honest, it was so long ago (15-20 years ago) that I doubt that the reg is even still a current model and if it is, I would imagine that it has been revised several times since then. I may not remember the model, but I certainly do remember the experience.
If I recall correctly, some Dacor regulators seemed to have a tendency to breathe harder at depth.

Why are you looking for this feature?...
R..

It's true that diver adjustable cracking effort is not really necessary, but it can be handy. Most often my primary 2nd stage is not user adjustable, (not for any particular reason other than I like the SP center balanced 2nds) but my alternate is. It's nice to be able to close down the adjuster when the reg is hanging on my necklace. Another nice thing is that it does allow you to adjust it so there's almost no pressure on the seat when the reg is not in use (assuming a balanced 2nd stage) and then you can use the adjuster to tune out any slight leak at the seat.

You can save some money by giving up the user adjustment. A good example is the G250 vs the G200B. Same exact regulator minus the user adjustment. G250s tend to be substantially more expensive.

OP, since you're in USA, Deep 6 is your best bet,at least if you buy SB talk. I own Apeks DST/XTX 50 single tank setup, and can't be happier with it. It is sealed diaphragm,balanced 2nd with venturi and cracking dial. Contrary what @Diver0001 said, I like to tune to smallest effort possible and then turn venturi off, so it doesn't free flow. It is on a expensive side, but for me in Europe is best regarding price/performance/LDS support. And next month I'm in for a service training through my LDS, so I can easily get service kits and do my own service.

If diving within recreational limits even if ones own and ones buddy's regs fail it shouldn't be anything more than an inconvenience, certainly not a life threatening event. If it becomes one then there is a problem either with skill or an over sensitive panic response in which there are things other than reg failure that would also be "life threatening". The solution to that is either more training or another hobby.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom