Regulator servicing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Meng_Tze:
And it is fun too. This extends the hobby beyond just diving, but the logistics behind it too so to speak. All involving...:D

And like In-Cave diver mentions, with more than about 5-6 regs, it becomes more economical to do it yourself

The hobby aspect of it is as important as any other aspect. I shoot a bow and I make my own strings and arrows and have been trying to find time to build my own bow. I make knives that take me HUNDREDS of hours to make even though you can get a decent cutting tool at walmart for $10. There are lots of similar things that I do because I can and because I like doing them. LOL, some people put their car in their garage. I have gas mixing equipment (temporarily without a compressor though), forges, anvils, welders, drill presses and so on. I've known people who build their own racing cars, motercycles and airplanes...only in diving is there someone trying to tell you that "you can't"

What is it they say? Believe you can or believe you can't, either way you are right.

Island Don:
So, let's assume one is careful, likes to actually read instructions/manuals, and has driven more miles in vehicles whose brakes they have personally repaired/replaced/rebuilt than they can estimate.

How would such a person go about learning to service their own regulators? Sounds like at least three physical things need to be obtained:
1) Manuals
2) Parts
3) Tools

Do you DIY folks get these from your LDS? Online? Direct from manfacturer?

All the tools are readily available...there may be some regs that require proprietary tools but don't buy those. Scubatools and global are a couple of sources for tools. Keep in mind that most of the tools are things you can buy just about anyplace...box end wrenches, spanner wrenches, allen wrenches, screw drivers and air guages.

Some manufacturers sell parts but there are sources of parts even for regs manufactured by companies that don't. The same for manuals. Get yourself a diverite reg and get your parts from any diverite dealer or online from Diverite Express. I have a lot of Zeagle regs and last I heard, they decided to openly sell parts. There are also aftermarket parts available for some regs. If you look, you'll be amazed at what you find.

Companies likie scubapoo and aquadung aren't budging but I've seen more scubapoo regs free flow than any other brand so who cares?

A good place to start is the reg repair book from Air speed Press (Vance Harlow). It's way better than anything that any of the reg manufacturers have. Find someone who knows and learn from them...just like anything else.

Mike,
Did you ever take one of my Sherwood/Genesis updates? Not that either are tough regs to work on.

GTRio:
Something to think about: It’s my understanding that in sky diving part of your training is to learn how to pack your own parachute. Why don't they advocate personal equipment servicing in diving? It’s my air; I should be responsible for it.

It's because the scuba industry is a mess. "You're gonna die if you buy stuff off the internet and service your own gear". Backwards industry. But you do get a lot of clueless folks out there that shoudn't bother as well as others that would just prefer a shop to do it. And the shops prey on this and spew the "life support" rhetoric on a daily basis. Even if you do have someone do your work shouldn't you be familiar with your gear and how it works? I think so.

Scuba.com:
Mike,
Did you ever take one of my Sherwood/Genesis updates? Not that either are tough regs to work on.

I don't think so. We became sherwood and genesis dealers when Bruce Longman was the distributer for our area. I honestly don't remember how I came to be an "authorized sherwood tech" but I was one. LOL. My wife went to a sherwood/genesis course at our world underwater after the GS2000 came out...was that you? As I recall, that ran the same time as the Zeagle thing and I went to Zeagle. I thought Jim Fox and his tech did put on a pretty good class.

Nah... I was in charge after that. Jim does do a good course, doesn't he? Was just curious. Wanted to know if I was one of the crappy boring classes or one of the good ones. *laughing*

I do know what you mean, though. I've slept through more than a couple of those courses from other manufacturers, I'm afraid to say. One of the main reasons I try to take a completely different track on presenting the "same ol' thing".

Last time I did OWU was that year they combined it with the Outdoorsman Show or some such. Was fun to see Bruce and Sue one more time before they retired and I moved on.

So many of these repair seminars simply show you how to disassemble and reassemble a reg. And nothing more. As many people here have said, if you are halfway mechanically inclined anybody can do that. What I like to see in a seminar is some history. How and why did this stuff evolve by this manufacturer. Some back ground. It's easy to say "if you replace part A, be sure to replace part B". But why??? What reasoning am I going to justify this to the customer and what about that is something I should look for in the future?

I think that along with practice are what helps make a good technician.

Scuba.com:
Nah... I was in charge after that. Jim does do a good course, doesn't he? Was just curious. Wanted to know if I was one of the crappy boring classes or one of the good ones. *laughing*

I do know what you mean, though. I've slept through more than a couple of those courses from other manufacturers, I'm afraid to say. One of the main reasons I try to take a completely different track on presenting the "same ol' thing".

Last time I did OWU was that year they combined it with the Outdoorsman Show or some such. Was fun to see Bruce and Sue one more time before they retired and I moved on.

So many of these repair seminars simply show you how to disassemble and reassemble a reg. And nothing more. As many people here have said, if you are halfway mechanically inclined anybody can do that. What I like to see in a seminar is some history. How and why did this stuff evolve by this manufacturer. Some back ground. It's easy to say "if you replace part A, be sure to replace part B". But why??? What reasoning am I going to justify this to the customer and what about that is something I should look for in the future?

I think that along with practice are what helps make a good technician.

There is a reason that I don't say who put on the poor classes. The fact is that a very minimal "class" would suit most dealers just fine. What I mean is, how much real difference is there between one reg and the next and how much time do you want to spend with...usually the sales rep...going over how to swap a few orings for every new reg that you decide to stock? I had one rep hand me a manual and a wall certificate. I asked "What, no class?" He said "Do you need one? You've done this before right?"

I don't mention that part of it so much as a dig to the "teachers" but to expose those who hold up all our supposed "specialized training" as a reason that a person can't do their own.

There are things that one should know before doing their regs and they need to put a little thought and preperation into it but I think it's in easy reach of about anyone who would be interested.

HenrikBP:
Sorry for the thread drift, but I gotta know; Steve, where in NYC can you get a regulator serviced for $40?? I've been quoted $40 per stage, i.e. $120 for one 1st stage and 2 2nd stages.

Henrik
Henrick-

I go to PanAqua. I have the ScubaPro parts for life and for my 1st and 2nd stage, and the Air II I think it was $65.

Steve

Island Don:
So, let's assume one is careful, likes to actually read instructions/manuals, and has driven more miles in vehicles whose brakes they have personally repaired/replaced/rebuilt than they can estimate.

How would such a person go about learning to service their own regulators? Sounds like at least three physical things need to be obtained:
1) Manuals
2) Parts
3) Tools

Do you DIY folks get these from your LDS? Online? Direct from manfacturer?

An enjoyable read and excellent guide to regulator maintenance is Vance Harlow's Scuba Regulator Maintenance and Repair:

http://www.airspeedpress.com/newregbook.html

Vance also describes and illustrates how to make some of the tools. I made what I needed to service my Sherwoods.

Otherwise, Peterbuilt has a good selection:

http://www.scubatools.com/

He also has a guide to regulator maintenance:

http://www.scubatools.com/RegSavvy.html

If you need specific manuals, a little internet sleuthing will bring up a few sources that look good:

http://www.frogkick.dk/manuals/

http://www.deepsouthdivers.org/

Parts may be a little difficult to obtain, but I'm fortunate that my local dive shop gladly provides the parts I need.

My shop owner has a great approach to business and customer service, but if your local shop isn't so enlightened, you'll probably be able to find other sources of parts.

For me, servicing my own regulators is more about self-sufficiency and peace of mind than saving hundreds of dollars over the years.... :D

Take a look at Vance Harlow's book and you'll quickly be able to decide for yourself.

Dave C

stevephilanyc:
Henrick-

I go to PanAqua. I have the ScubaPro parts for life and for my 1st and 2nd stage, and the Air II I think it was $65.

Steve

Thanks Steve.

I regularly shop at Panaqua as well, but they quoted me way more than $65 for servicing. Maybe it depends on who you speak to :wink:

Henrik

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom