Regulator storage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mine live in a milk crate. At least 5, typically 7. Live in there with my Petrel, Cootwo, backup lights, and a transfill whip. Best way I have found to store and transport them. Granted I need on average 5 regs per dive for what I've been doing. With a single reg set, I would just leave in the padded reg bags and it would live on top of whatever gear bin I had. I'm a fan of the black ones with yellow lid from Costco
Costco Wholesale

they have single ones in store for like $11 or something. Holds literally everything except a tank. When I'm teaching, I'm usually just in doubles, so everything including wetsuit goes into one of those bins. I think Lowes has them as well but are more expensive. They do not live in a reg bag unless I'm loaning them out to someone

I have been eyeing those Costco bins. When my old Rubbermaids are retired those are first on my list.

On other brands while stored it can imprint over time - IIRC that leads to IP creep but I'm not positive.

IP creep is a function of the first stage and doesn't have anything to do with 2nd stage seat imprinting. Wear in the 2nd stage seat from storage can eventually cause a small freeflow but it usually can be adjusted out.

I missed the Atomic. It sold before I got the money together.

I wouldn't sweat it. I had forgotten about the seat-saver feature on atomics, I don't like that design because it means you have to pressurize the reg to soak it after use. IMO soaking your regulator in fresh water after use is very important for the longevity of the reg, and I wouldn't buy one that I couldn't just put the dust cap on and soak.

What is the best way to store regulators, both at home in the off season and while on a trip?

What is an 'off season'... :)

I keep the regs coiled in the tub with the other 'small' dive gear (mask, fins, booties, gloves, computer, hood, etc), there are 7 tubs in my store room. Wetsuits, Dry suites and BCs are all hanging. 'Spare' regs hoses and bits are stored in another tub, just coiled.

Most of my dive trips are generally day outings and the gear is set-up then loaded on the boat, all gear is carried to launch ramp in a dive bag. If its a live-aboard they will generally have their own storage/set-up process. Two recent trips ranged from 1) all gear being kept in a tub over night or while on 'rough crossings' gear is set-up for the 'days' activities with tanks swaps between dives. 2) gear permanently set-up in a person dedicated position, first stage removed from tank for a quick fill, at worst the crew would swap to a dedicated second tank (keep at the same position), fins/mask kept in locker under tank.

Key for me is to ensure a good soak in warm water to remove salt then to ensure they are dry before storing.

I have the adjusting screw of the 2nd stage turn all the way out.

Tbar, for me here in North Texas the off season is when the water in lical lakes gets to 50* surface temperature. I don't like cold water.

Tbar, for me here in North Texas the off season is when the water in lical lakes gets to 50* surface temperature. I don't like cold water.

And I complain when we get less than 20C (~68F) in winter :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom