Regulator Suggestions: Atomic Z2, DGX/Deep 6, Deep 6 Signature

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where did you guys get Atomics? I see they're an LDS only thing from the website, but the nearest Atomic dealer is an hour away and they don't carry an inventory that I can see. Do you just walk in hoping to find the model you like?

Where did you guys get Atomics? I see they're an LDS only thing from the website, but the nearest Atomic dealer is an hour away and they don't carry an inventory that I can see. Do you just walk in hoping to find the model you like?
I ordered one through my LDS. Told them which model I wanted and they had it shipped.

Leisurepro carries atomic too.

Service requirements are definitely an important conversation to have with them. Do they require a local shop to do theservice, can you perform it yourself, does it have to be staff at the school, etc. All of these questions may make one brand or another more favorable.

From what it sounds like you're describing, for bang of the buck, I'd consider getting a used z2 and having it sealed when you service it.

All it seems they require is a form filled out for proof of servicing by a certified technician. The appeal of the D6 is that once I save up again for the course, I can be that certified technician and not have to deal with long waits for servicing. Also because I have no idea where to get Atomics serviced and I don't have a car to get to an LDS.

All it seems they require is a form filled out for proof of servicing by a certified technician. The appeal of the D6 is that once I save up again for the course, I can be that certified technician and not have to deal with long waits for servicing. Also because I have no idea where to get Atomics serviced and I don't have a car to get to an LDS.
There are service centers you can ship your atomic too, same as the deep 6. You probably can't become a certified atomic tech without being associated with a shop though.

There are service centers you can ship your atomic too, same as the deep 6. You probably can't become a certified atomic tech without being associated with a shop though.

Makes sense. I've been able to figure out service costs for the other two, how do Atomics compare? Does the normal high price of the regulator relate to high service costs and a harder time to find parts, even though IncreaseMyT mentioned they're made by Huish? Or is this a more LDS specific question?

Makes sense. I've been able to figure out service costs for the other two, how do Atomics compare? Does the normal high price of the regulator relate to high service costs and a harder time to find parts, even though IncreaseMyT mentioned they're made by Huish? Or is this a more LDS specific question?

You can get parts for the Zeagle on the net.

Zeagle Regulator Service Kit, 1st Stage (All 2000 & newer)

Its pretty much the same first stage they have always had, flathead.

Screen-Shot-2019-04-28-at-9-38-42-PM.png

Parts aren't hard to find. Hard to say what your LDS would charge for the service. I think I've heard $60ish per stage as an average thrown around, but I'm sure others will chime in with the correct numbers.

With the yearly service requirement you would be better off renting.

With the yearly service requirement you would be better off renting.

I thought of that but the university has flat-out said that I can't rent from them since all of their gear is tied up in their own summer diving classes, and there again isn't a nearby LDS. My home uni also won't let me rent from their supply for 3 months

Edit: The cheapest option is to take the Zeagle's that my PI lent me in to service for the short term, but that will just delay the issue

With a closer look into the Z2 on other threads, apparently a high pitched whistling from the piston is a concern? And the extra bells and whistles like the seat saver mean a bit more complicated/attentive rinsing. I have no issue with that, I intend to take care of whatever regs I get, but do the extra features make use and lifespan more complicated? I know it only needs servicing relatively rarely, but just looking at the long list of bells and whistles make me think I'm getting in way over my head. The whistling in particular, unless it doesn't apply to sealed regs, would probably make me cut off a dive within a few minutes of it starting

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom