Regulator Suggestions: Atomic Z2, DGX/Deep 6, Deep 6 Signature

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do they have to stay pressurized the whole time (attached to a tank)?
Not if you soak them separately. If you want to toss the whole thing in the water, they should be attached to a tank and pressurized. The seat saver in the 2nd stage only seals when the system is pressurized. That means that the rest of the time, that seal isn't under compression so it lasts longer. Part of why the service intervals on atomics are longer than average. The trade off is that when the system isn't pressurized, water could get in to the 2nd stage, migrate up the hose, and get in to the 1st stage where corrosion could start. By soaking the first stage first and then the 2nd (preferably with the first stage elevated so water can't go up the hose), you limit the chances of water getting into the first stage.

It sounds more complicated than it is. It's nothing more than a different cleaning routine.

Not if you soak them separately. If you want to toss the whole thing in the water, they should be attached to a tank and pressurized. The seat saver in the 2nd stage only seals when the system is pressurized. That means that the rest of the time, that seal isn't under compression so it lasts longer. Part of why the service intervals on atomics are longer than average. The trade off is that when the system isn't pressurized, water could get in to the 2nd stage, migrate up the hose, and get in to the 1st stage where corrosion could start. By soaking the first stage first and then the 2nd (preferably with the first stage elevated so water can't go up the hose), you limit the chances of water getting into the first stage.

It sounds more complicated than it is. It's nothing more than a different cleaning routine.

I think I get what you're saying. It's by far the best and most complete description I've seen on here yet. Basically, if I dump it all in at once, the water will do its thing and ride up. But if I lift half at a time and let gravity do its thing instead, the water won't have a route to go up and hopefully the first stage won't corrode?

I think I get what you're saying. It's by far the best and most complete description I've seen on here yet. Basically, if I dump it all in at once, the water will do its thing and ride up. But if I lift half at a time and let gravity do its thing instead, the water won't have a route to go up and hopefully the first stage won't corrode?

Yup, you've got it

Whoa, I thought they were bought by Apeks. Did they switch hands again or did Atomic buy Apeks. All of my brand and gear knowledge came from the last two or three weeks of being on SB looking for gear instead of studying for classes, so I'm not exactly in the know when it comes to manufacturers/brands

tech 50d is a discontinued old model of zeagle. originally made by apeks. it was discontinued when apeks was bought by aqualung. aqualung still owns apeks. zeagle then made a similar design of their own, the 50d. zeagle was bought out by huish outdoors (who also own atomic aquatics) a few years ago.

while atomic does make good regs, the people who say its "the best reg ever made" just sound like they drink too much of the koolaid.

tech 50d is a discontinued old model of zeagle. originally made by apeks. it was discontinued when apeks was bought by aqualung. aqualung still owns apeks. zeagle then made a similar design of their own, the 50d. zeagle was bought out by huish outdoors (who also own atomic aquatics) a few years ago.

while atomic does make good regs, the people who say its "the best reg ever made" just sound like they drink too much of the koolaid.

Thank you for the breakdown. Huish sounds like a monster manufacturer at this point. I went through their system when I got my wetsuit too. It's interesting but also I suppose understandable how much of a following brands get.

Thanks everyone for all your help and input. I think once I manage to do some more serious diving and save up some more I'll go the route of the M1 (aka probably right after I get reimbursed for some of this round of gear and get my summer paycheck). @saxman242 I think you led me to a gear crush. For now I'll go the route of the slightly cheaper deep6's

I like the long interval between servicing for the Atomic, but from what I've seen, universities will require yearly servicing no matter what, even if it isn't needed. So in that case, how much of a hassle was it for you to service your Atomic?

In the US and Europe isn't a hassle at all. I am not sure about the university requirements part. The manufacturer says specifically that it has a 2 year or 200 dive service cycle.

Since they are so long-lived, is there a worry about parts being taken out of circulation as other brands move on?

I have had my B2 since late 90's (it was a B1 then and then upgraded internals to B2) and no issue with parts. Prior to the B2 there was a B1, it was very easy to upgraded it to a B2 by replacing some parts in the first and second stage (I don't remember which parts since it has been so long now) and it became a B2. Atomic hasn't stopped supporting any of their regulators yet.

@DBPacific, I'm going to throw you a curve ball... if you have any interest in ScubaPro I have a used (but what looks like a brand new, never wet) mk17/G260 that I'd sell...

Let me know if you have ant interest, if not, enjoy the deep6 regs... they're building a following for sure.

With a closer look into the Z2 on other threads, apparently a high pitched whistling from the piston is a concern?

Never been an issue for me at all, I never had a "whistling" Atomic regulator.

@DBPacific, I'm going to throw you a curve ball... if you have any interest in ScubaPro I have a used (but what looks like a brand new, never wet) mk17/G260 that I'd sell...

Let me know if you have ant interest, if not, enjoy the deep6 regs... they're building a following for sure.

Thank you for the offer, but the only Scubapro dealer is apparently also the one charging almost $100 per stage for servicing

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom