Regulator Suggestions: Atomic Z2, DGX/Deep 6, Deep 6 Signature

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Atomic B2 is 700 retail and as long as you don't dive cold water I can't see you ever needing another one. Breathes amazing too, even face up, which is uncommon.

Oops just realized you said environmentally sealed, I would get the Zeagle F8, it is basically a sealed B2

In all honesty, I'm so used to rentals bubbling water when I go faceup that I don't have an issue with it anymore. I had instructors who definitely made sure to make me uncomfortable with getting water in my face, and I don't often need to go faceup anyways unless I want a quick stretch

Ugh oh, you may start a big debate here lol. Someone I know claims you can over breathe a diaphragm reg when diving with high task loading, like spearfishing. I am not sure if that is true, but I know for a fact a piston reg can open all the way up, delivering more air than a diaphragm reg.

So, since I do not need anti-freezing, I went with the performance of a piston reg. Some would argue you can't tell a difference, I am not sure if you could. But if you don't dive cold water, to me, it makes sense to dive a piston reg.

What does overbreathing mean? It starts free-flowing?

Just pointing out nothing really breathes like an Atomic. The second stage is what you makes the difference there, in feel.

40 is getting down there. Atomic m1 may be a better option if you're going to be pushing the cold side.

Would the specialized cold features give me trouble for warm water? I've never seen anyone mention cold to warm issues but just in case

Just pointing out nothing really breathes like an Atomic. The second stage is what you makes the difference there, in feel.

I've heard. I just don't know how that compares to other regs where SB peeps say the same thing

Would the specialized cold features give me trouble for warm water? I've never seen anyone mention cold to warm issues but just in case
Nope. You're good to go.

With a closer look into the Z2 on other threads, apparently a high pitched whistling from the piston is a concern? And the extra bells and whistles like the seat saver mean a bit more complicated/attentive rinsing. I have no issue with that, I intend to take care of whatever regs I get, but do the extra features make use and lifespan more complicated? I know it only needs servicing relatively rarely, but just looking at the long list of bells and whistles make me think I'm getting in way over my head. The whistling in particular, unless it doesn't apply to sealed regs, would probably make me cut off a dive within a few minutes of it starting
The whistling thing is new to me. Never heard of it.

The seat saver for me has just meant to make sure I rinse the first stage and then the second stage. If I want to leave the whole thing soaking, I hook it up to my pony tank.

The whistling thing is new to me. Never heard of it.

The seat saver for me has just meant to make sure I rinse the first stage and then the second stage. If I want to leave the whole thing soaking, I hook it up to my pony tank.

This is going to seem like a very dumb question. I know/think the second stage is the part with the mouthpiece, purge valve, etc. The round thing you shove in your mouth. Is the first stage the part that hooks onto the tank via DIN or yoke? How would you separate the two? Just unscrew the hose?

This is going to seem like a very dumb question. I know/think the second stage is the part with the mouthpiece, purge valve, etc. The round thing you shove in your mouth. Is the first stage the part that hooks onto the tank via DIN or yoke? How would you separate the two? Just unscrew the hose?
Correct, but no need to separate them to soak. Just put the first stage in some water to soak with the hose coming out and the 2nd stage out of the water. Then pull the first stage out and put the second stage in.

Correct, but no need to separate them to soak. Just put the first stage in some water to soak with the hose coming out and the 2nd stage out of the water. Then pull the first stage out and put the second stage in.
Do they have to stay pressurized the whole time (attached to a tank)?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom