Regulator Suggestions: Atomic Z2, DGX/Deep 6, Deep 6 Signature

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are many other excellent service centers you can ship your equipment to if these folks don't give you proper service and prices.

I know, it's just pricey. Which I should expect from dive gear, but I also know that there's usually a pretty decent wait time and that's subject to change. A friend of mine was supposed to get her regs and drysuit back four weeks ago and they're still not done. Since renting won't always be an option if I stay with universities (some unis like my current one are nice and have a decent rental storage, the one I'm going to in summer and considering for grad school has all of their gear tied up in classes) I'd like to have a bit more guarantee of when I'll be able to dive. That could be fixed by a backup pair, but financially that isn't an option right now

DBP here is one suggestion, full disclosure, though I am not a not associate with a shop I dive and rebuild Atomic regs. Given you are on a grad student budget and will be using your regs a bunch my suggestion would be to look for a good set used regs. One can find good deals on fleabay and here on da board. If you want a second opinion before buying send any of us PM.

Regardless of the brand, get the regs serviced. In the case of Atomics regs if you do not have local dealer you can send them directly to AA for service as well as shops such ScubaToys who do mail order service. The cost of shipping may offset the cost of time and driving.

As I mentioned (and BurhanMuntasser) one of best bits of the AA regs is that one can take one of the early models like a Z1 or B1 and update the second stage to the Z2 or B2 easily for under $50. The really early AA first stages will need a piston upgrade which that cost can be avoided if one knows what to look for before buying. The first stages can be sealed easily but sealing a piston reg is a bit more involved and expensive than a diaphragm reg.

PS Are you diving out of Yaquina Bay and the MSC?? I used dive out there for crabs when I went to OSU.

Jokes on me, I'm on an undergrad budget. Hence the appeal of cheaper/faster servicing and cheaper upfront.

At one point I think we are? I'm typing this fresh from a pretty rough dive in Lake Woahink so my memory of our dive plans is a little scattered. Next trip I know we're diving in the Newport aquarium, and our final multiday trip is at Mike's. If you know any good dive spots, I'd appreciate the info.

If, as it appears, that the OP chooses Deep6 Signature he can expect great service and great performance at a moderate price. The only upgrade I would see him going for in the future would be another Deep6 Signature set when he switches to back-mounted doubles or side-mount.

She, but thanks for the encouragement

If you're on an undergrad budget, there's really no good reason to buy new. You can get an M1 or B2 used for $3-350 pretty ifte. Include a service for good measure and you're good to go.

My apologies, I should have checked your profile page.
Eh, I don't know that I put it up on there. I don't particularly care either way, it just threw me for a loop reading while I was tired. I should probably update/put more detail into the profile...

Thanks for the link, I'll check them out

I spoke to the owner last night, he can service Scubapro, Atomic, Mares, etc. He is a very reputable businessman. Mention my name :)

I spoke to the owner last night, he can service Scubapro, Atomic, Mares, etc. He is a very reputable businessman. Mention my name :)

Unless he knows your username or your username is your name, I'm not sure that'll help much :)

Back
Top Bottom