Regulators: Best Value x < $600 ex. Dive Rite, Deep 6, DGX, HOG, etc.

First Regulator Set: Best Value x < $600?

• Dive Rite XT

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • Deep 6

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • DGX (Deep 6)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • HOG

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Scuba Pro (MK2 EVO w/R195)

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • Other

Votes: 10 14.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive Rite requires training to service the XT regs, but not the older ones. You don't want the older ones though, they breathe like dogs. Updates are required every 2 or 3 years to stay current. So unless you are doing annual service on more than a couple regs, it doesn't work out financially, especially if you have to travel to take the class.

If you want to do the servicing yourself for reasons other than financial, go for it.

-Chris

the DR rg3000 series is fine, fully balanced and similar to the hog d1/classic

uses a weird non standard seat / poppet though

@Barnaby'sDad: Several weeks ago, I started a similar poll to this poll titled “What are the top tier regulator brands”.

Poll: What are the top tier regulator brands?

This may be helpful in your information search, especially since more people have voted on my poll to date (not meant to devalue any of your posts comments). You will note that the Deep6 brand is not included within my poll, but you will see a number of people speaking up for Deep6. I attempted to add Deep6 to my poll, but the poll, as established, could not be expanded past the 10 brands listed. To be honest, I sure would like to see how my poll might have changed if Deep6 was included.

If you are looking for a <$600 regulator, you should then include the Atomic Z2 in the listing. The Z2 is superior to all regulators included in the list above in all categories while still being very price competitive.

If you are looking for a >$600 regulator, you should then include the Atomic Z2 in the listing. The Z2 is superior to all regulators included in the list above in all categories while still being very price competitive.

I checked the Z2 out. If I wasn't set on matched second stages, that one would be doable.
@Barnaby'sDad: Several weeks ago, I started a similar poll to this poll titled “What are the top tier regulator brands”.

Poll: What are the top tier regulator brands?

This may be helpful in your information search, especially since more people have voted on my poll to date (not meant to devalue any of your posts comments). You will note that the Deep6 brand is not included within my poll, but you will see a number of people speaking up for Deep6. I attempted to add Deep6 to my poll, but the poll, as established, could not be expanded past the 10 brands listed. To be honest, I sure would like to see how my poll might have changed if Deep6 was included.

I checked your thread out early on. Some of the Deep 6 comments are promising. The rest though are well outside of what I'm looking to spend.

I'm puzzled by how many people voted for Aqua Lung. I'm guessing that's the Internet's "my thing is the best" thing.

Dive Rite requires training to service the XT regs, but not the older ones.
-Chris
I think that is only correct if you want the manuals. They'll still sell you the parts. That said, there weren't manuals for the HOG regs for years, and a bunch of others. We all used the Apeks manuals and figured it out from there

I checked the Z2 out. If I wasn't set on matched second stages, that one would be doable.

I checked your thread out early on. Some of the Deep 6 comments are promising. The rest though are well outside of what I'm looking to spend.

I'm puzzled by how many people voted for Aqua Lung. I'm guessing that's the Internet's "my thing is the best" thing.

Aqualung: Yes, bias in poll data is a factor to consider, but on what basis do you discount the value of Aqualung? Some Aqualung regulators get good reviews by “ScubaLab”.

Hope you post your regular purchase, and your related satisfaction when that time comes.

Aqualung: Yes, bias in poll data is a factor to consider, but on what basis do you discount the value of Aqualung? Some Aqualung regulators get good reviews by “ScubaLab”.

Hope you post your regular purchase, and your related satisfaction when that time comes.

I used a Aqua Lung Titan for the DSD course I took. I wasnt all that impressed with it. I thought it was VERY damp breathing compared to the Dive Rite XT.

Granted the Titan is $80 less than the DR, but my outlook on it is that if I don't like a company's lower tier equipment (pick a hobby)...I'm not going to spend more money to get a better product from them. I'm going to take my money elsewhere.

Yup. I'll post back in one way or the other.

They have a "Z2" Octo. no problem. I'd buy the sealed first stage version and you can go on for years and years without needing to service it and it will still perform like new out of the box.

They have a "Z2" Octo. no problem. I'd buy the sealed first stage version and you can go on for years and years without needing to service it and it will still perform like new out of the box.

Yup. I saw that one. I meant that going with two Z2 second stages would exceed my budget.

Back
Top Bottom