Regulators for Ice Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... breathing off it as little as possible on the surface.
Best to not even stick the reg in your mouth until you're underwater.
In BAD conditions, it only takes 1 or 2 breaths to freeze the 2nd stage.
... he had a reg that was sealed and so he poured grain alcohol into the first stage ...
The very first single hose regs to have any sort of anti-freeze protection was the Poseidon Cyklon. They have a rubber cap that goes over the end of the 1st stage & we would usually use rum, it doesn't need to be 99 octane. (rum seemed to be the least affected by the "rubber flavor". :wink:
I was diving a double hose well into the mid '70s 'till the Cyklons became more widely available in the US. Got teased a lot, but I'd get 'em back when their regs froze up. :crafty:

cyklomat.jpg

A Mk25 isn't the best choice - by far - for ice diving. And which second with it ?

"Lots of metal" matters more for the second stage (last repeat), unless it has a specific "very cold water" design.

You can find advice about cold water regs on internet, no problem, but the web isn't the right place for learning ice diving.

Understood. As I said, our dive club will be doing some this winter as a way of selling training during slow months. I expect to participate in the training, just want to make sure I have the right gear to go along with it.

My reg is Mares Proton 42 Metal and although I've yet to dive ice, I did dive in 44 degree water temps for all of April at our local quarry without an issues.

Good luck with whatever reg you eventually go with.

This is what entails all the best features of a good ice diving reg and second stage. It's an Aqualung Legend Glacia. Research it, and I think you'll like what you find.

Back
Top Bottom