Regulators Int or DIN?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, not just in Australia - we're not convicts anymore and are occasioanly allowed to leave the country and dive in other parts of the world

I wasn't correcting you, or even disagreeing with you, just providing some information - that's what SB is all about, friendo

No, not just in Australia - we're not convicts anymore and are occasioanly allowed to leave the country and dive in other parts of the world

I wasn't correcting you, or even disagreeing with you, just providing some information - that's what SB is all about, friendo
I understood that you weren't necessarily speaking about just Australia, that's why I asked. Note the question mark. Please feel free to elaborate. Where is "international" commonly used to refer to yoke fittings on regulators, in your experience?

I also understood that you weren't correcting me or disagreeing with me, that's why I said, "thanks." Thanks again, friendo.

Perhaps while I have you in a helpful mood you can tell me where "friendo" is used commonly, if anywhere. I haven't heard that one before either.

Where is "international" commonly used to refer to yoke fittings on regulators, in your experience?

What I said was it's commonly used in reference to tank valves. In many places including Australia and Asia, in my experience

Perhaps while I have you in a helpful mood you can tell me where "friendo" is used commonly, if anywhere

It's commonly used in No Country For Old Men, by Anton Chigurh :)

In my opinion...

Firstly, DIN fittings are undoubtedly more reliable than Yoke. A couple of other advantages being: you can easily and cheaply adapt DIN to Yoke, DIN can be used with higher pressures.

This was my reasoning originally for purchasing a reg with DIN 300 fitting.
However, I found that the vast majority of dive centres I dived with only offered tanks with Yoke fittings (Across Australia and Asia, I can't comment on USA).

I found the use of a DIN to Yoke adapter VERY annoying. It resulted in my head getting constantly bumped on the reg due to the extra protrusion it added. I now dive with a Yoke fitted reg purely for this reason.

So a point worth considering I think. I would suggest you try to establish where you are most likely to be diving and find out which system is commonly used in these areas.

With regards to choosing a brand of reg, personally I think you get what you pay for. Set yourself a budget, find several regs you like the look of and that are brands you feel confident with within that budget, then research the shortlist until you can make an informed choice.
When I bought my first full set of regs, I eventually shortlisted 3 sets, my final decision was based on their weight for traveling.

Hope this helps...

International or Int never gets used in NZ. But I have seen it in my training manuals ( I think ). They are always called Yoke ( of Joke) and every now and then A clamp.
I recently did a tanking filling cert course and was told that there is a movement in NZ to switch to DIN as the standard 1st stage fitting. I have not really seen this happen but most people I dive with do use DIN but then they also all use doubles.

Perhaps while I have you in a helpful mood you can tell me where "friendo" is used commonly, if anywhere. I haven't heard that one before either.

Google is your friend: friendo

Now back to diving...

Friends;
Yolk is the yellow stuff in an egg.
OP---get a 300 bar DIN reg if DIN is what's most common where you live. Some regs with a 200 or 232 bar 1st stage will not seat on a 300 bar valve. Also, it's not hard to change the A-clamp/Int./yoke fitting to DIN and viceversa without using the adapter that as previously stated makes you hit your head too often.
SP G250's are hard to beat.

ATB Friends;
Bill

Except in value vs. cost and customer service. :coffee:
(referring to the SP G250)

I don't know, having seen many 20 year old G250s still in use, still performing as well as practically anything on the market including some regs costing far more, with the easy availability of parts for decades, I'd say the G250 does pretty well in terms of value. SP supports their regs extremely well; that's why the used market on them is so strong.

It's probably one of the most successful and copied 2nd stage designs in existence.

Except in value vs. cost and customer service. :coffee:

E-bay is your friend my friend.:D

And as previously stated it is the most copied of ALL 2nd stages ever. Just wonder why the G250V came about?
I own ALL the high end regs and subjectively believe my SP Mk25/G250 graphite breaths better then the Ti Atomics or Apeks 200's.
And, as I'm sure you know about the parts for life if you are an original owner.
Quality is priceless. Especially @ say 2,3, or 400fsw:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom