Regulators Suitable for Technical/Trimix Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

impulse

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,

I need advice about regulator choice for tec/trimix diving. My technical instructor uses Apeks XTX50 as main back regulator, Apeks XTX20 as back up and Apeks AT20 on the stages. He usually dives in warm waters above 10 centrigrad degree.

So he tells me I can buy the regulators he uses if I will always be diving above 10 C degrees. But I am a bit skeptical about this and would like to ask you if I can use Apeks XTX20 for the main back regulator? I do want to spend the extra bucks for the XTX50 if this will not make any difference.

I also would like to hear about your regulator advices from the other brands.

Thanks in advance.

I would go with same reg across the board and go with HOG D1 Cold as first stage and HOG second stage. But then again I am in US and dive cold waters as well. You can use this reg for primary, backup, stages etc... and you can learn to service it and carry spare service kit with you.

Same reg across the board? That would either mean wasting money with a high-spec reg on the stages, or risking safety with an economy reg on the backgas....

Same reg across the board? That would either mean wasting money with a high-spec reg on the stages, or risking safety with an economy reg on the backgas....

Sorry, its late and I must be tired...what is the rational behind using lesser quality regs on stage bottles? We're not okay with increased chance of a backgas reg failing...but its cool with stage regs? :confused: If "economy regs" mean "risking safety" why would you consider using them at all? I'm going to go out on a limb hear and guess the answer is going to be based solely on $$$? A bad factor to give much consideration when choosing life support equipment IMO.

Because stage regulators don't need the same performance - as they aren't dealing with the demands.

I'm talking about performance, rather than quality. :)

Sorry to be blunt here.
Looking at your other posts, you seem to - either have a trust issue or - he is not really qualified. I have to agree with DevonDiver's first post. Do you trust him or not. All you have done so far has been to second guess him in most of your posts.

When it comes to technical applications I would not second guess equipment or buy based on current requirements. If you are going down this road, get good quality/performance equipment you can use everywhere. This equipment will last you a lifetime anyway.

I can recommend Apeks DS4 or Tech3 first stages. These are sealed units and will work great at all depths. Seconds stages are a more debated topic and people have preferences. I have ATX50 that works well at depth below 300ft. I would however suggest the XTX series as they have exhaust ducks (bubble deflectors) if yopu like Apeks. I also use SP S600 without problems, they perform very well.

I disagree here. Why not spend a liras more on a good performing deco reg? Deco hangs are as long (or exceed) as BT sometimes.

High performance regs on a 6m 100% dedicated bottle? Why bother? I have a cheap scuba pro MK2/R295 for that. Every other stage reg of mine was bought used (all SP). For backgas and travel gas I use HOG regs. 200ft thus far and breathing good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom