Regulators Suitable for Technical/Trimix Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm in the process of changing all my regs to HOG ( 6 more to go). Why? Service. I can get parts for my HOG's, I have a factory cert for another line that won't sell me parts. So what good is it other than it gives me a background in reg repair. I've seen too many shop rebuilds and services that were for crap. I'll do my own thanks for the peace of mind. Now my stage and pool regs may not be HOG's. But I will go with Edge for those because of the same policies. MY other regs are high end and very good. But there is no good reason for me to have to jump through hoops to get parts. If there were I could see it. But why should I pay for something I can do myself. If I did not have the tools or knowledge and did not want to do it that would be one thing. I don't change my own oil because I don't have a garage, ramps, or the time. And I have three places that send me coupons for 19.95 oil changes with a tire rotation! That is worth me not having to get dirty. But regs that I can do at home, dry, warm, in front of the tv- No I'm not paying $20-$30 per stage plus parts ( some are out of warranty) for something that takes an hour or less if the regs have been maintained as they should be. And I can have them when I want them. Not wait 2 weeks or more.

From the tech end people that do their own regs that know how are great. I didn't have to worry about some boob bringing in a reg that was never rinsed since the last vacation a year ago and expect to have it done in time for them to catch their flight in 2 days. If you are going to have someone service your regs bring them in before you need em! And not the day before.

Breathing one at 100' will be like breathing at 5'
Breathing the other at 100' will be luck sucking a thick milkshake through a thin straw.

This is an extreme example, but you get the point

Are you saying the 20 will breathe worse than the 50 at depth? What are you basing that on if I may ask?

Hey Jim, how much are they charging for rebuild kits?

Apeks 1st stage kit - $38 bucks
Apeks 2nd stage kit - $26 bucks

Hog 1st stage kit - $19.99
Hog 2nd stage kit - $12.99

Take someone like Jim who has 6 to 12 regs and you're saving several hundred $$$ a year in service costs.

I know, I'm getting sick of getting raped on APEKS service kits. I really like the regs, but dammit, I'm really getting tired of paying that much money to rebuild 8 sets regulators every two years.

I like the HOG prices. Now I need to find some to look at.

Good prices! If I ever feel a need to stray from my Zeagles I think I will have to take a serious look at the HOG's.

I know, I'm getting sick of getting raped on APEKS service kits. I really like the regs, but dammit, I'm really getting tired of paying that much money to rebuild 8 sets regulators every two years.

I like the HOG prices. Now I need to find some to look at.

well assuming they are all doubles regs or deco/pony regs (one first stage and one second stage).

Then that's
$38 x 6 = $228 (first stage kits)
$26 x 6 = $156 (2nd stage kits)
--------------------
total.........$384 in rebuild kits for Apeks each year

That would easily buy you one Hog D1 1st/2nd stage kit and get you half way paid towards a second one for the cost of next years Apeks service kits..... :popcorn:

Are both the Hog kit and Apeks kits similar? In other words, do they both have the same replacement parts? The price difference could be in how complete each kit is.

Are both the Hog kit and Apeks kits similar? In other words, do they both have the same replacement parts? The price difference could be in how complete each kit is.

Of course they are different manufacturers and slightly different designs, so service kits are both expected to be different, but here's pics for visual comparison. Looks like both are "complete kits" (without doing an internal inventory of each).

You be the judge.

Apeks 1st stage kit

firststagepic.jpg

Hog 1st stage service kit

hog1ststageservicekit.jpg

Same reg across the board? That would either mean wasting money with a high-spec reg on the stages, or risking safety with an economy reg on the backgas....

Hm... You should really check on the specs and pricing of HOG regulators.

$165 for first stage (cold) and $99 for second stage.

Performance is outstanding.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom