Related to Sexism in Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But potentially alienating half (at the rec level) of your clientele by going on about "sexiness" (only for women's) dive gear is not such a good business decision is it?

Also for a DIR agency, supposedly focused on standardization of gear and utilizing the same gear from recreational through technical diving... i think it sends an interesting/odd message. I read it that making money is more important than the benefits of everyone on the team being on standardized kit and progressing from rec through Tec on a core platform.

Smart business is making what sells. Doesn't matter what color or shape.

Sexism is saying women divers need gear to look sexy (and men need gear to look tough).

the manufacturers are not going to stop, they do have to "sell what sells" but my fear is that quality women's suits will disappear leaving is no choice but the most expensive custom fit option.

I watched that video and was highly amused at two guys going on like that. Sheez. If a guy said stuff like that to me in person, I'd laugh at him, and then he'd get slapped if he kept on with that.

The only "feminine" color I've got is purple trim on my drysuit. I had to go custom anyway, since neither drysuits nor wetsuits are made for short and round gals. As for expensive, you're already shelling out $$ buying a drysuit, anyway. I was able to go the custom route for only $150 more (USIA).

ETA: I did find this highly odd coming from a DIR group.

I watched that video and was highly amused at two guys going on like that. Sheez. If a guy said stuff like that to me in person, I'd laugh at him, and then he'd get slapped if he kept on with that.

I think the "outrage" is silly. They went on and on about coming out with all this gear in CAMO. Camo has little or no purpose, other than to be attractive on an aesthetic level to a certain group of people (possibly men). Then they transition from the theme of camo (probably for men) to women's gear and make a casual joke about it. They discuss their intent to invest the corporate funds to produce gear that will be attractive and also functional for/to women and this is offensive?

Seems like they are trying to cater to women and provide them functionality and also items that will be aesthetically pleasing.

I would think that, the women who are going to be going offshore with a boatload of men who will be pissing over the side, puking occasionally and wiping snot from their face and onto the thigh of their wetsuit, that they should be able to take a casual joke.

Also the whole idea that a women can "get away with" physically striking (and assaulting a male) because she disagrees with the tone or content of his remarks.. is .. really..... quite sexist isn't it? Would it be acceptable for him to Beeeach slap her back? if not why not?

I think the "outrage" is silly. They went on and on about coming out with all this gear in CAMO. Camo has little or no purpose, other than to be attractive on an aesthetic level to a certain group of people (possibly men).

With all due respects, please do keep in mind that you're posting in the Women's Perspectives forum. But while a harness and a crotch strap and a backplate may not be all that "sexy", it serves a function. And it does so well. Creating a camo or a pink hello kitty design doesn't change that function, and I have no problem with either of those. If it sells, why not.

But to see an organization which advocates (for the most part) DIR equipment standardization pushing a women's BCD with a message of form over function? That to me is not okay at all.

I think the "outrage" is silly. They went on and on about coming out with all this gear in CAMO. Camo has little or no purpose, other than to be attractive on an aesthetic level to a certain group of people (possibly men). Then they transition from the theme of camo (probably for men) to women's gear and make a casual joke about it. They discuss their intent to invest the corporate funds to produce gear that will be attractive and also functional for/to women and this is offensive?

Seems like they are trying to cater to women and provide them functionality and also items that will be aesthetically pleasing.

I would think that, the women who are going to be going offshore with a boatload of men who will be pissing over the side, puking occasionally and wiping snot from their face and onto the thigh of their wetsuit, that they should be able to take a casual joke.

Also the whole idea that a women can "get away with" physically striking (and assaulting a male) because she disagrees with the tone or content of his remarks.. is .. really..... quite sexist isn't it? Would it be acceptable for him to Beeeach slap her back? if not why not?

You can of course get pink cammo, so pink cammo diving gear would be the trifecta of style over utility.

Marie13 is not really assaulting people over blitheringly stupid comments, or I won't be safe sitting next to her on a dive boat. :fear:

I welcome men's involvement in this discussion, women's forum or not, because they take our point of view back over to Man-Camp and spread the enlightenment over beer and flamethrower-seared alligator steaks. :rocker:

Is this the place to mention a group of young fellows told me I had "bigger balls" than them because I was leaving the hotel for a night dive? It is our actions and experiences that speak louder than outfits, and that can get overshadowed by media focus on "Sparkle over Sparticus" in women Vs men's dive images. :pinkdolphin: Are still Dolphins.

Marie13 is not really assaulting people over blitheringly stupid comments, or I won't be safe sitting next to her on a dive boat. :fear:

Haha! DD needs to recalibrate his sarcasm meter.

I think the "outrage" is silly. ...

Except that is NOT what they are doing. They are assuming that women want to dive to a lower level then men. What do you make of their comment "Female fins so that a recreational diver..." "I am a female diver who is not going to be towing around big sets of doubles and 14 stages..."

THIS is what is sparking the outrage at least for me and other female technical divers that I know. The assumption that because I am female my gear doesn't need to be as effective or efficient. Which is BS.

I appreciate a company devoting time and resources to a line of gear that better fits women. Our end needs are the same, we're just shaped differently!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom