Related to Sexism in Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As far as the fins go, my wife dives kinda-DIR as she looks to me for advice on gear etc (Im the tech-head) but she drew the line at Jet fins. She would love to back kick etc but the fins are heavy for her and she dives max 2 tanks in SM but mostly 1, I cant really justify to her why she should abandon her splits.

Has your wife tried the UTD Precision Neutral/Positive fins? I have them and I love them. The medium fins are the same size and shape as my medium jetfins, but they are lighter and the foot pocket is deeper and actually fits the human foot well, unlike the jetfins. AG actually cut the standard 10 inch spring straps down to 7" before shipping them to me a few years ago to fit my tiny feet.

I've already responded to the OP's post in another thread, so all I can say is that the original info about the BC coming out wasn't portrayed in a sexist manner. The original advertising for the lighter fins was identified as being marketed to divers using a wetsuit, and the diver using them in a video was male, whereas now it seems to be morphing from wetsuit into recreational divers.

She has tried the UTD neutral fins, I use them. I have a pair of Deep 6 Eddy positive fins incoming, I suspect they will catch her eye.

For function, not 'cos they are bright orange....

Was it a quality custom? My wife needs a 5 mm and we cannot find anything to fit and after 3 custom suits which we gave away are atill looking. We have found that most of the custom builds are of cheap standard neoprene and no one seems to have quality stretch neoprene. I personally dont care the cost as long as its quality and actually fits properly.

My custom suit is a drysuit, not wetsuit (see avatar).

Sometimes I feel like all I can find is pink gear - makes me nuts because I am definitely not the Hello Kity brigade!

I too have been looking for new fins, so there are some good options on this link. Thanks!

Don't throw away all the pink gear - some of us like it! :)

But it's gotta match the drysuit...
vDpttPi.png

120323_MerPhil-L.jpg

I'm 6'3", Merry is 5'10" and our friend Kevin Lee is shorter than Merry. We all wear black drysuits and Jetfins. The only way I can pick Merry or Kevin out underwater is to look at their camera housings. If you tried to take Merry's Jetfins away you would lose a few fingers in the process.

I don't know why they don't think that bp/w and harness isn't sexy? My set up is super sexy and I feel great in it! All in the eyes of the beholder I guess lol
I guess the one thing that irked me was when they said that jetfins were for male navy divers, as if they weren't functionally or aesthetically appropriate for female divers, or female divers wouldn't be able to take full advantage of them... I use my jetfins even on easy tropical dives, and they are fun... they come in many different colours, even pink

I think my set-up is pretty sexy. Steel twin 12s, steel backplate, black wing, turtle fins, black drysuit, mask, a couple of stage etc. Hell, I think it works pretty well in the pool sans drysuit...

16112602_10154924251858103_4982461000390375989_o.jpg

There are enough "real" issues of misogyny etc. out there without having to be offended by the words a doofuss used trying to explain that some women don't actually want to wear all black all the time or wear super heavy fins with sloppy pockets.

Rich sums it up fairly well in my opinion.

As for folks that don't like the wild dive skins . . .lol. I've noticed that some folks really like to stand out, some others have extremely poor taste IMO, and some folks just like to make other folks smile.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom