Release Date For New Atomic Aquatics Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just stumbled across this thread, and hope I can provide some useful information. I'm one of the developers of the Cobalt computer.

As others have commented, it does use an OLED screen. These actually use quite a bit less power than do LCD screens, which require backlighting- the OLED is inherently lit, which makes it much better in night/ dim diving. They are more expensive, though.

The battery will last 40-60 hours of actual diving time, and many months of standby, on a single change. Power efficiency comes partly from the screen, but mostly from electronics and software design. It takes about two hours to charge with the wall charger, and four hours if connected to a USB port. The battery should last for several years before (like all Lithium Ion batteries) gradually diminishing in capacity. Replacement will be handled by the factory or the dealer.

The main effort behind this design is to provide a simple, logical interface that doesn't require a manual or "cheat sheet" to figure out. You should be able to pick it up and be able to set preferences, set up EAN mixtures, gas switches, alerts and so forth without having to consult a guide. Keep checking the Atomic site. We hope to have an interactive web demo of the interface up soon.

All sounds well and good. So now that this computer is officially aweosme. When does the wrist mount hoseless version come along?:cool2:

We logged some dives on the new Cobalt last weekend and the reviews ( Sharp! Very Intuitive! Easy to Read! ) from all of the console lovers, have been great.

As far as the HP hose, Atomic Cobalt comes with a very thin, flexible hose but for all you MiFlex lovers, YES, I was just able to attach a MiFlex hose to it.

Supposedly they will be shipping at the end of the month.

re. miflex hose question:
It ships with a lightweight, flexible, small diameter hose (not your typical HP hose) that has the QD fitting and its locking attachment built in. The QD is much more solid than the typical QD fitting. It could be moved to another hose. if you wanted.

re. wrist mount versions, etc.:
We are working on other configurations based around the same design and interface, but there is no date as yet. The console is the most popular configuration and in many ways the hardest to get right, so we are introducing it first.

re. wrist mount versions, etc.:
We are working on other configurations based around the same design and interface, but there is no date as yet. The console is the most popular configuration and in many ways the hardest to get right, so we are introducing it first.

Why are consoles the most popular? Price? "Tradition," where wrist mounted and air-integrated computers are a bit newer and potentially introduce new tech problems?

The Cobalt looks awesome and philosophically I think the 21st century UI facelift is looong overdue in the PCD world (psst, next step for Atomic: wrist-mounted, air integrated and touchscreen :d). But I'm deciding which computer to get in the next month or two, and part of me -- specifically, the part I said "I do" to -- has a hard time justifying another hose and loss of buddy air monitoring on, say, the Oceanic Atoms, for a pretty interface. And paying a higher price for it, to boot!

Also, if the $1200 rumors are true for the Cobalt, I shudder to think what a wireless, wrist-mounted version would run... (and I say that as someone decked out in Atomic gear from fins to reg)

Why are consoles the most popular? Price? "Tradition," ...........
Most popular .... in term of units sold or in terms of models available?

Last time we checked the market, we did find 47 console models, 37 wrist models and 15 watch models.

If you combine wrist and watch in the "non-console" group, then there are more non-console models in the market.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom