RELIABLE Camera Flood Insurance...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been filming in L&M housings for 12 years now and have never (fingers crossed) had a flood that damaged my camcorders. I did have one small leak that fried the PCBs inside the housing but the camcorder was unaffected. I agree with dpaustex that proper care goes a long way toward preventing flooding, but also good choices in the housings used.

An insurance policy to replace your flooded equipment is prudent, but does not restore your lost opportunity when the flood happens early on an expensive trip. Another form of insurance that makes me less stressed during every dive with a housing is a vacuum leak detector:

Probably the most expensive is the Gates Seal Check

These are from the UK:

Hugyfot Underwater Camera Housings

Leak Sentinel

Basically you use a manual or DC powered vacuum pump to lower the pressure in the housing below one atmospheres. A pressure switch activates an indicator light and/or an audio alarm if the pressure increases above a pre-set vacuum. That allows you to press and rotate all dynamic seals before hitting the water. Some have an integrated liquid sensor as well.

The possibility of a slow leak is dramatically reduced because the lower density of air will leak sooner than water and dynamic seals can be tested. A vacuum will leak air at low differential pressure long before water at 300' in the vast majority of O-ring failures.

They make a lot of sense if your camera is expensive, the camera is essential to your dive trip, or you are really stressed over a leak. Unfortunately, this does not help flooding strobes or lights, but the probability of their leaking is lower. Using one of these reduces the rated working depth of the housing by ½ to ¾ of an atmosphere. They are all fairly expensive, but everyone defined “priceless” is different ways.

I use DAN insurance. The only time I had a major flood was a month before my first trip to Cozumel. I was able to deal with DAN via email and received a check covering full replacement cost within a couple of days after sending them all the information. It was a great experience that I hope to never have again.

DAN sells insurance for flooding and other issues and pays quickly and no hassles. DEPP is a nightmare and should be put out of their misery. State Farm has special policies that are great but I am too lazy to switch from DAN and not all state farm agents are willing to write the policy. I would avoid a rider on my homeowners since in the case of a claim the premium might go up a lot more than the claim was for.
Bill

The DAN camera insurance is US only though, last I checked.. which was just before newyears :(

Back
Top Bottom