Reminder: Always do an S-drill before or at the beginning of your dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Continuing this a little off the initial topic - When I signed up for a rescue class this spring, I discussed with the owner of the shop what the desired gear configuration was. He basically said didn't want anything different from the "norm" they taught (octo on a 40"). Later at the classroom portion, and as it was a different person teaching, I dared to ask the question again as to how they wanted the equipment rigged for the class (I was prepared to use whatever they wanted). When I told him I was diving a BP/W, and a long hose configuration, he quickly said "bring it". He is a caver by hobby, and a tech trainer for the shop, but regrettably that isn't happening much. At the skills portion of the class, he spent a good period of time going over my rig with the class, explaining the benefits, and later on broke out his tech set-up. During the class, the others involved seemed to appreciate this gear configuration.

Yes, it should be included as an option in O/W. If it wasn't for SB, I still likely wouldn't know of it......

now back to your original program.....

If it weren't for SB, I wouldn't know what BP/W, long hose or DIR are.

I actually moved my shop of residence starting on the occasion of my Rescue class, to be somewhere that knew about BP/W and long hose. I had previously been diving out of a shop with great facilities, but no tech and limited variety of experience of staff. I used to get lot's of strange comments from the staff on my gear at the old place.

I figured that is what I dive, that is what I want to know how to handle.

Before I get into the water with a reg I grab my primary with my right hand and reach up as high as I can with it to make sure it's on top and not tangled. If it is I sort it out or get my buddy to. It takes 2 seconds. I usually ask my buddy every time just in case too (Even if I think I've got it right)

I was taught to do a mod s-drill as one of the very check-items before descending
BUT
I was also taught to do the drill again any time I clipped something onto myself, such as the lamp-portion of my canisiter light or a deco tank. Since doing so, I have discovered more than once that I had indeed just secured something over my long hose. Glad I didn't discover that when I was in a hurry => Now I'm a believer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom