REMO2 details and experience?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheAvatar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am interested in hearing from anyone who has experience with REMO2 field use or at least training. I would really like to know its real world effectivness, especially relating to its ability to function in ambient temperatures below 32F and altitude affects on function.

Also, very importantly, does anyone know the medicolegal implications of the use of this device by organized professional rescue (EMTs). DAN trains lay rescuers to use this device, however professionals are restricted to their scope. However, the training, texts, and scope of prehospital providers doesn't even recognize closed circuit surface rebreathers with chemical CO2 scrubbers as something good or a no-no. Nobody really knows about these devices outside of the dive medical community and even there knowledge is limited. So can a professional even use them?

I would really like to do find a way for my fellow rescuers to use this device... itwould be a great tool in the kit for both remote public safety dives where gear may be carted in by horseback... and more likely for mountain rescue missions where the patient probably isn't suffering from diving related maladies :wink:. In mountain rescue there is a great difficulty in bringing in O2 tanks (carrying them up dangerous difficult terrain) so anything that makes them last longer is a huge bonus to the patient.

(thinking this might need a cross post in PSD)

For most part the medical application of CO2 absorbants is anesthesiology, so you may want to talk with the local doc. He may be able to advise or help getting REMO units endorsed.

The last version of DAN's REMO unit used the Micropore ExtendAir cartridge. While I haven't used the REMO unit, I have used a larger cartridge by the same manufacturer in a Dräger rebreather. The application of cartridges for REMO units is perfect as the handling is very simple and user friendly. No more packing a cannister, or worrying that granules are damaged in transport or shifted inside the cannister causing channeling. Simply open the cannister, insert cartridge, close cannister, extend gas.

Micropore at DEMA 2004
Picture of REMO unit

TheAvatar:
function in ambient temperatures below 32F and altitude affects on function.

When we designed the first prototype, we tested normothermic conditions and followed those with environmental tests at East Carolina University to determine scrubber performance in heat and cold extremes. These results were not published but should be available through DAN Research.

I no longer work directly with this project but the most recent scrubber duration tests are submitted for publication now with http://www.wemjournal.org.

Gene Hobbs thank you very much for your commentary.

Based on your knowledge, would you forsee any general concerns in using this device in a mountain rescue scenario?

Theoretically would high altitudes decreasing the absolute pressure in the scrubber unit decrease scrubbing rates?

Temperature I was concerned both about the rebreather efficiency and the tendency for plastics in cold temperatures to... er... shatter (ever tried to use a NRB at -20F?)

TheAvatar:
Based on your knowledge, would you forsee any general concerns in using this device in a mountain rescue scenario?
Not at all, we did test it with larger bore tubing when we looked at 15k of altitude with exercise. For someone resting, you would probably need higher flows but it would still beat an OC solution.

TheAvatar:
Theoretically would high altitudes decreasing the absolute pressure in the scrubber unit decrease scrubbing rates?
Would not see much of a change given the current design but again, I am not on that team anymore.

TheAvatar:
Temperature I was concerned both about the rebreather efficiency and the tendency for plastics in cold temperatures to... er... shatter (ever tried to use a NRB at -20F?)
Plastics... ick, I don't even want to guess. We did not test that cold and not at all with the current design. Again, I am not sure what the current system is using. I was only involved with the first design and prototype.

Take care,
G

bump for more comments

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom