Removing bladder from OMS 45# wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crombie

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
New to forums, looking for help.

I recently found a leak in the bladder of my OMS 45# wing, and need to remove it to patch it. However, I've never done this, and am not sure how. I have no problem unscrewing the dump valves, and inflator hose, but after that, I'm not sure if I need a special tool.

I've checked the OMS website, and they don't have any guidance on how to remove it. I'm in Okinawa, and the nearest authorized dealer is in Tokyo, however since its an easy fix with aquaseal, I'd like to do it myself.

I am guessing, since I don't have one to look at, but: are you sure it has a bladder? some of the newer bcs don;t have a separate bladder, and look for a zipper hidden in a seam. If the inflator/ OPEV stick out through a 'grommet' then is has a bladder. If there is no grommet, then the bladder is integral to the housing.
Another suggestion is to contact OMS on the manufacturer's forum on here.

I didn't see OMS in the list of vendors represented on the forums.

However, I did find the tool for taking the BC apart. It does indeed have a zipper, plain as day and inside the black polyurethane bladder. OMS also sells a patch kit. And they do have a tool for taking the BC apart. Strangely enough though, its not advertised on their site, omsdive.com or their close out site omscloseouts.com

I found it on leisurepro. In case anyone else has the same problem, here is the link to the item, the "OMS BC Disassembly Tool" leisurepro.com/Prod/OMSBCT.html#

I've had a hole or two pop up on me and I found what worked well for me was a waterbed repair kit.
The material is nearly identical and if it'll hold back all that water under pressure (plus 2 adults, periodically bumping a grinding....:wink:) , it'll certainly hold back air under similar pressure.

My last repair was an ancient DiveRite Jr. Wing and my daughter is now using it without issues.
The cover is beat all to hell but the bladder is still going strong.

Back
Top Bottom