Removing objects from the sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anthony Appleyard

Contributor
Reaction score
Removing objects from the sea is forbidden in some conservation areas including the Red Sea. OK. But, in these days of public awareness about plastic in the sea, how would authorities in such an area react if divers, or a diver, came back from a dive with goodie bags full, but only of (new and not archaeological) recovered plastic rubbish?

No one is going to complain or get in trouble for bringing up trash. But, be careful when pulling things up like fishing line. You don't want to break corals while collecting it.

Also want to assure there are no critters inside bottles or cans you bring out. I had a little octopus inside a bottle I brought up at Catalina Avalon Harbor cleanup one year. We got him back into the water

There apparently are many many "garbage cleanup" dive outings all over now. We even had one here in NS recently, where arguably there isn't near the garbage as say in CT (again, sorry CTrich). I did find an old boot once, which considering the "pristineness" of the coast, I found to be little funny.

I bring a mesh bag with me on all my recreational dives to bring up trash I find I haven't had a problem with people getting mad at me yet. I just make sure I'm careful not to bang things around underwater or damage a coral/sponge/critter trying to pick something up. If there's something living or settled on it, I usually leave it. I found a lot of beer bottles off a dock recently and just made sure to tap the insides a bit in case a crab had gone inside before I picked it up.

No one is going to complain or get in trouble for bringing up trash. But, be careful when pulling things up like fishing line. You don't want to break corals while collecting it.

For fishing line, you want to make sure there isn't a fisherman on the other side... (see post with nasty looking hooked diver finger).

I'm still puzzled at why anyone would be angry with someone removing trash??? Even in today's "environmentally aware" world, my guess is the vast majority of people on land couldn't care less what you take from the sea. And some probably still don't care what someone would deposit in the sea.

If you are diving off a boat, ask them.

I have found out that no means no a few times.

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom