Rental tanks leaking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So we are renting tanks in the BVI. We keep getting tanks that leak from where the valve screws into the tank. It's not the valve itself leaking, but the connection. Seems to me this would indicate bad tank threads? What do you guys think?

I've seen plenty of tanks 'fizz' from the cylinder / valve junction. Typically, it means the tank o-ring needs replacing, although it can indicate a tank thread corrosion issue.

When I had these reported at centres I worked in, they were easy to rectify. You did report them to the dive centre didn't you???

Lots of posts on this thread about the 'low standards' people encounter at dive centres.... but how many of those people actually report the issue to the dive centre itself, so that it can be rectified? Dive centres rely on customers reporting issues. If you don't then those problems persist...and stuff doesn't get repaired. The dive centre isn't psychic.... you need to tell them when their rental stuff needs immediate maintenance.

From my experience, the people who bitch and moan about 'faulty rental gear' are most likely to be the ones who don't say anything to the dive centre itself.

i know the saying vlad, but thats not what i ment to type. i got my spelling correct.

if i wanted to use a saying i would of said " go with the flow " or something to that extent.

this is part of the diving experience you will get on some trips so it is part of the course. maybe not the best choice of words, or best use of them but they know what i ment.

thanks for the catch though. sometime i do need others to proof read my typing for me.

We did mention the issue to the shop. We also mentioned some short fills we had got from them.

I told our dive master about the leaks and got "no big deal" every time.

I've seen plenty of tanks 'fizz' from the cylinder / valve junction. Typically, it means the tank o-ring needs replacing, although it can indicate a tank thread corrosion issue.

Surely if the o-ring is in working condition it will stop any air from leaking past it regardless of whether the threads are corroded or not? Even non-corroded threads will allow air past them because they aren't designed to stop air flow. That is what the o-ring is for.

Use a din fitting. By far easier, safer and the o rings on your reg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, that's why I should read the whole thread and not skim.

Slap me twice and call me Susan!
Apologies. I wouldn't want to be round one of those when the o ring blows. or maybe there not torqueing the valve up correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

O rings harden or get frozen from air dumping and become triangle rings.

I agree. Not bollocks at all.

Generally speaking, yes. But really badly corroded threads can be so eroded that they won't stay tight, allowing the valve to loosen and the O-ring to leak or extrude.

Of course if the threads are that bad you've got worse things to worry about than a few bubbles.

Surely if the o-ring is in working condition it will stop any air from leaking past it regardless of whether the threads are corroded or not? Even non-corroded threads will allow air past them because they aren't designed to stop air flow. That is what the o-ring is for.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom