Renting O2 tanks.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JGBrown:
Is it possible?
if so:
what is the typical cost
any C-cards needed:D
I'd just like to have one on board for the summer.
-yes
- $35 per T plus $65 per year for lease
- none

wedivebc:
-yes
- $35 per T plus $65 per year for lease
- none

Thats quite reasonable for an emergency supply I hope I'll never use.

Thanks!
Its for the boat, because we'll be at least a couple hours away at some points this summer.

I see you're on the island, got any recommended suppliers?

JGBrown:
Thats quite reasonable for an emergency supply I hope I'll never use.

Thanks!
Its for the boat, because we'll be at least a couple hours away at some points this summer.

I see you're on the island, got any recommended suppliers?
Sorry, I quoted a price for industrial cylinders. For emergency/medical you should purchase a kit such as Dan O2 and you will probably be expected to take an
O2 providers course. Check the local dive shop as prices vary.

It'll probably be cheaper to buy a tank, but first you got to find out what the local suppliers' attitudes are towards filling/refilling it. Don't know about Canada, but in the USA there doesn't seem to be any one set of rules - some don't ask any questions at all, other will take a DAN oxy administrator card as credentials, and others just won't sell it period.

You can put together a medical O2 set pretty cheaply on eBay.

Alternately, you can get a scuba tank and have it filled with O2 at a shop catering to techies, and use an O2-cleaned scuba regulator to administer the O2. This will usually give you better duration (larger tank and demand rather than constant flow regulator) but is less effective on an unconcious person.

Dan kits are lovely, but they are quite expensive. One can put a decent O2 kit together for considerably less by buying used. Also in many places, medical supply shops will not fill an O2 tank without a prescription - regardless of whether it is a DAN tank or some random eBay purchase.

CompuDude:
Just buy one of the DAN emergency o2 kits. You should be able to refill the tank if need be at a medical supply store.

wedivebc:
Sorry, I quoted a price for industrial cylinders. For emergency/medical you should purchase a kit such as Dan O2 and you will probably be expected to take an
O2 providers course. Check the local dive shop as prices vary.

What is the purpose for industrial O2, is it for welding applications instead?

Industrial oxygen is any oxygen not bottled for human consumption. It's used for many things, but mostly for welding. Many divers use it for gas mixing, deco and emergency use since it is often cheaper and easier to buy than medical or aviator's grade O2.

While going by the specs it is actually a purer grade than USP medical O2, it is not bottled as carefully, so a debate has raged for years in the diving community as to whether it is safe to use.

Many serious divers keep a scuba or industrial tank of oxygen on hand for casual or extended use, and a medical kit to be broken out and used in a genuine emergency since it is probably better from a liability point of view to be administering genuine medical O2 from a genuine medical kit in the event of a serious emergency.

JGBrown:
What is the purpose for industrial O2, is it for welding applications instead?

I'm now more confused then ever, am I understanding this correctly:
Industrial O2:
PRO:
cheaper,
available
no Rx needed.
comes with a tank for around 100$ a year
CON: not certified for human consumption

Medical grade:
PRO:
certified for humans
useful for unconcious victims as well
CON:
expensive
hard to obtain, maybe imposible
less run time.

Would it be worthwhile to have the Industrial O2 with an o2 clean reg on board?
if its 100$ for something that will really minimize harm, I've read postings on here of divers sucking on an O2 tank when they were worried about violating their deco swimming under an arch or something.
Or is it just a potentially very exciting and warm ballast for my boat without any benefits?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom