Renting Pony Tanks in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

+1 for 19 cf rental

+1 for 19 cf rental
Not going to happen. I pack mine on top of clothes and close to the zipper so security agents can get to it easily without spilling my bag. I use 2" electrical tape over the open end with both ends doubled back to make it easy for them to inspect the tank and replace the tape. I wrap the valve in bubble wrap inside a ziplock to keep bugs and debris out. I do want to keep it all clean in case I have to breathe from it. It's made many flights and been thru a few hydros. I never get it vized as I only use it in the Caribbean.

Not going to happen. I pack mine on top of clothes and close to the zipper so security agents can get to it easily without spilling my bag. I use 2" electrical tape over the open end with both ends doubled back to make it easy for them to inspect the tank and replace the tape. I wrap the valve in bubble wrap inside a ziplock to keep bugs and debris out. I do want to keep it all clean in case I have to breathe from it. It's made many flights and been thru a few hydros. I never get it vized as I only use it in the Caribbean.

I have lugged my pony once before. I just left it with Christi (BlueXtsea) for a year, because it was a lot of trouble to haul. I’ll probably only dive 4 days, so I would only be able to use it 2 of the 4 days by the time they get it filled.

I’m debating on whether to take it this time. I like the security it provides…

I have lugged my pony once before. I just left it with Christi (BlueXtsea) for a year, because it was a lot of trouble to haul.
I have considered leaving all of my gear there, but then I wouldn't have had it for a Roatan trip that came up last year.
I’ll probably only dive 4 days, so I would only be able to use it 2 of the 4 days by the time they get it filled.
I used to put up with delayed fillings. Ended up on a first day Devils Throat dive without my pony, and I did not like that.

Even if I don't get to my hotel until late afternoon, it's filled and on the boat the next morning. Salty Endeavors makes it happen.

Buy a transfer whip and take that with you. Rent a tank when you get there and equalize your pony to the rented tank. You have a nearly full pony in under 30 minutes and you are out $10 each trip down. I call ahead to the local shops to see if they can do a same day fill. If they can't then I bring my whip.

I travel with my 13 and use blue painters tape because it doesn't leave any residue on the tank. Valve goes in a freezer quart bag. Tank and valve go in with my clothes. Tank on top and valve mixed in near the top of the bag.

Buy a transfer whip and take that with you.
More gear, more packing - easier to find shops that will fill the first night.
I travel with my 13 and use blue painters tape because it doesn't leave any residue on the tank.
I think that 2" electric tape is more secure and it does not leave a residue.

More gear, more packing - easier to find shops that will fill the first night.

I think that 2" electric tape is more secure and it does not leave a residue.
You travel more than I do so I'll defer to your judgement on the tape. I just don't like the stuff since it can leave a nasty residue when on in hot weather or for a prolonged time. I prefer to not take a whip for the same reason but if the local shops can't spare 10 minutes to do a hot fill then I'll bring it. Rather have my buddy with me than wait an extra day.

1659160051249.png
Much smaller (and considerably less expensive), than a transfer whip.
Read: Tank Equalizer for $2.50. Thanks Couv! :2tanks:

Wouldn't most dive ops need to have at least 1 or 2 on hand to teach Solo/Self-Reliant, etc.?
We would use a 40, 72 or 80.......

I have 40's here, some shops have 40's - I also have a transfill whip.....

I think people not having them here has nothing to do with liability, it's just they are rarely asked for and tanks are expensive here.

My Transfill whip weighs 2 pounds and is DIN-DIN as I have a DIN valve on my 19 cu ft Pony. So I also need to bring a yoke to DIN adapter which weighs 0.8 pounds.

So it is a PIA to bring it when I am maxing out my 50# checked bag as it is. The Pony weighs 13# (full I think).

If anyone weighed my carry on it would be very expensive for me as I stick about 30# in there.

So I try to travel without the Whip and hope I arrive early enough to get it filled for the first day. If travel is delayed or I do a late bag drag from Cancun I may not have it for dive day 1.

I ended up leaving a 19 cu ft Pony and tank valve with my shop in Coz and bought another one when I got home.

The problem with this is I now schedule a day of Cenote diving at the end of the trip before flying home from CUN and I don't have my Pony. I plan to try to rent one with the Cenote shop next trip.

I don't think my shop in Coz has a Transfill whip. Might be a good idea for me to give them one so I don't have to worry about it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom