renting vs. buying?

Have you bought your gear or do you rent it?

• Have all my gear

Votes: 260 85.2%
  • Have personal gear (mask, fin. snorkel), rent thr rest

Votes: 41 13.4%
  • Rent all of it

Votes: 4 1.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I first "dove" in to Scuba I gave it great thought and decided that considering the local rental rates and the price of the new equipment. Then did the division of how many times could I dive rental and spend the same amount as if I bought it new...well I decided to purchase new gear and 14 months later I have dove enough times that my equipment is paid for.

None of the above.

I have most of my gear, but not weights or a canister light.

Most anyone who dives regularly would own. No one wants to go through picking up and dropping off rental gear every weekend, and dealing with gear that 'sort of' fits.

However, I'd rent a few times at first just to make sure you intend to stick with it, to give yourself a chance to see what others use, and to give you a basis for comparison when you do go shopping.

I was skeptical at first regarding the true importance of owning your own equipment. As I see it now there are a number of benefits:

1. You know it's going to work, since you keep the maintenance logs.

2. You know how it works and what if feels like in the water.

3. It is cutomized just for you.

4. It is cheaper after a certain number of dives to own rather than rent.

5. Online purchasing has made item #4 all the easier to attain.

I borrowed for my confined water. By the time checkouts came around I owned the following.

Mask,snorkel,fins,boots,wetsuit,reg,tank,weight belt,weights,guages. BC had not come in at the time of my check out and I borrowed a real POS.

This was 22 years ago this month !

I now teach and own several sets of gear including updating some of my personal gear this month. Two new regs and another drysuit. I really need a newer looking BCD , mine has faded from 4 years of use.

I still think tank rental is a good thing for lots of people.

Ron

It makes sense to rent equipment such as BC, Regs, Dive Computer at first because it gives you the ability to try out different equipment so when you buy you know what you want and therefore don't end up wasting money on equipment which a few months later you realise is not what you need.

I bought mask/schnorkel, fins, wetsuit and a weightbelt with pockets straight away. I then added (1) reg/octo/console, (2) BC and (3) dive computer in that order when I was sure I knew what I wanted over a period of 3 to 4 months.

I still don't own a tank and this is likely to be my next purchase.

i bought the Reg/octo/console from a dive shop in Thailand when on holiday, and the BC from a LDS in the UK who matched near enough the online price and the computer online. I also bought my wife a Reg/Octo/Console online.

Regards

Sorry, couldn't resist. I have all my gear, right down to the camera and I do my OW cert next weekend. I got a free class out of the deal, a great LDS to work with and I'll save money in the long run. I plan on doing a lot of diving and have scheduled some local trips already. In addition to gear, I also started a website for local divers in my area so it would be easier to find dive buddies, new lakes, etc. If anyone here is from the Minnesota, surrounding areas or just visiting, you're welcome to join us anytime!

PS
I made informed decisions on my gear based on the LDS, Rodale's and ScubaBoard... thanks to all that gave me advice, you did good.

To other married divers thinking about buying gear:
A word of wisdom from experience... Make sure to tell your spouse you're buying your gear and how much it costs, I made the mistake of buying, then telling... not good! But, as I've heard from my elders, "It's easier to beg forgiveness than get permission". ;-0

I bought a complete set of geer with the exception of a tank which I intend to fix real soon.

I have a mask, snorkel, fins, BC, Reg, Octo, Light, knife, slate, wistle, wetsuit, computer, gauges, compus and extra weights

I now have a good "save a dive kit" with mask/fin straps light bulbs for light plus a backup light and a light to fit my mask chemlight sticks. another knife and asso odds and ends.

My next purchase will be a Tank then a thinker wetsuit then a cheap camera.

Back
Top Bottom