renting vs. buying?

Have you bought your gear or do you rent it?

• Have all my gear

Votes: 260 85.2%
  • Have personal gear (mask, fin. snorkel), rent thr rest

Votes: 41 13.4%
  • Rent all of it

Votes: 4 1.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Definitely buy your own gear. However, find out what works best for you from the start. You'll save yourself time, trouble and $$$ if you can make informed choices right away. Try as many different systems as you can: BP/Harness, Transpac, Traditonal BC etc, as well as different regs if possible. I realize this is harder to do than it sounds. I myself went through a couple of regs and a couple of BC's before finding what I like the most. And, once you do find what works for you, stick with it unless something else comes along that will have a positive impact on your diving. Change for the sake of change can cause needless expense and needless headaches!! Owning your own gear is a step toward being a better, safer and more frequent diver. ZG

I would agree and say buying your own gear is a good thing. I bought most of my stuff online, but bought my Reg/Octo/gauges at my LDS. Mostly did that for warranty factors and yearly servicing. I rent tanks, but I do own my own pony bottle. Some LDS dont rent pony bottles and I think everyone should dive a pony bottle. I know I know, some people agree that if you have a good buddy, you dont need a pony bottle, but what if you have two good buddies and they both need air at the same time? Anyway, thats my two cents worth.

luckydiver3 once bubbled...
I was wondering how many people buy their gear vs. renting it.

On my 3rd dive after OW Certification, we dived in Hawaii on a night manta ray dive. I had used their BC/Reg/etc. and had noticed that the gear was rather "long in the tooth".

At the bottom, the velcro cumberbund started to seperate and the bc started to creep up on my neck. It took a bit of work, but I was able to refasten the velcro and returned to enjoy the mantas.

After that, I vowed I would have my own gear - and last month, purchased everything in preparation for diving on our honeymoon in Jamaica.

Let's put it another way.

After having heard the problems that people have had with rental gear, what possible reason would you have for willingly renting your life support system from people you don't know, particularly when the reason is not expense, but convenience.

Its not convenient to die from faulty rental gear. Screws up the whole vacation.

I own every piece of gear that I use. If I don't own it, the chances are rather good that it isn't available for rental either. So that option is out, even if I wanted to do it.

That said, I would recommend renting or check diving some equipment to try it out before you make a final decision.

I started out with a Zeagle POS BC, a Beuchat regulator and a Mares wetsuit that I purchased shortly after OW started. I lucked out with the reg and the wetsuit; however, as I learned how to dive I decided that the best use for the Zeagle was to use it to demonstrate to students how many screw-ups you can design into a single $700.00 BC. If I'd waited, I would not have bought junk.

Now I've got a drysuit and a complete set of singles gear, including tanks, a complete set of doubles gear, including stages, deco regs and argon reg, several sets of fins, masks, and accessories. I'm thinking of buing another set of doubles so that can either do (1) two deco dives in one day; or (2) a complete weekend of NDL dives without needing to get a fill.

I will not even consider using rental gear, excepting tanks and weights when I'm on vacation. If I don't have a piece of my own gear, for whatever reason, then I borrow from a trusted buddy (we all have substantially identical gear) or don't dive.

I own my own gear. Initally I thought I would rent my gear, but when I saw the cost of rental I saw if I just did 10 - 15 dives I could have my own equipment paid for. Plus I considered the inconvenance of having to go to the LDS pick up the equipment and return it. Buying my own gear had more pros so I dove in and bought all my gear. Some people suggested that you rent first to check out the equipment. Check with your LDS they may let you try out the equipment without having to rent. You can see what you like and then buy.

Jana

I have all the personal and small ticket items and I've been renting the big ticket items. I'm currently in the process of getting the rest of my gear so I can get in more dives per year.

own everything except tanks .. oh and the Gavin Scooter

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom