renting vs. buying?

Have you bought your gear or do you rent it?

• Have all my gear

Votes: 260 85.2%
  • Have personal gear (mask, fin. snorkel), rent thr rest

Votes: 41 13.4%
  • Rent all of it

Votes: 4 1.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaKims once bubbled...
We also frequently faced problems with rental gear. First it was a rip in the BCD pocket ... the pocket where I put my car keys - DOH! Keys were found later that day - lucky me! The next time I rented the mouthpiece on the octo fell off when my buddy gave me the OOA sign (just a drill) - we watched as the mouth piece and zip tie slowly fell apart and began sinking! .......
Paul

I'd have some real concerns about the LDS, where you're renting. Gear problems with our LDS are very rare. I've gone along to several OW weekends. The most serious failure I've seen, was a o-ring on a tank. Lots of divers with spares, so a non issue (as soon as I certified, I bought a save a dive kit with spare o-rings, etc. Their gear is heavily used in both pool courses (they have in shop pool, run 2 to 4 classes a week, not the same people, they start a new class almost every week) and OW weekends throughout the summer (I think about 10 a year), so it is rigorously maintained and frequently replaced.
On the other hand, I also checked my gear before I leave, I don't want to be charged for someone else's damage.
On the third hand, owning all my own gear is even better, I know how it's been cared for and where it's been.

We definitely do not trust the rentals from this shop. We like our LDS but rental gear is not a strong point - unless a customer points out a problem they don't seem to check it. One time they gave me a regulator that spewed out water when I removed the yoke cap ..."water's not supposed to come OUT of the first stage, is it?". Needless to say that regulator was serviced and I was given another. We check the equipment prior to renting them - it's their policy (perhaps because they do not check all equipment after renting themselves) and we are very thorough about it. Everything seemed fine. Not checking the BCD pocket was an oversight on my part - it wasn't something that I thought would be ripped. The inflator button being stuck was random and it worked fine at the shop and at the site when we set up the gear.

Everytime we rented there was a problem, some trivial some not. All these problems prompted us to buy our own equipment faster than we can afford (to the delight of our credit card companies! :)), but at least we have most of our own gear that we trust and know. The strange thing is that all the DM's and instructors are great, extremely thorough and very experienced - just as the owner is. Customer service is excellent, he never pushes his merchandise, services any gear you bring in and is a great guy in general - he even praised and recommended gear he doesn't sell based on its merits. Its unfortunate that his rental stuff is going down the drain. Actually he has new BC's and computers coming in to replace the old stuff.

Regardless of our experiences with rentals, the bottom line is that someone is (or isn't) checking the equipment to make sure its working properly - and that someone isn't you. And you don't know the history of this equipment, whether it was smashed against the rocks the day before, whether it was dragged through muck, etc. We just feel a whole lot safer having our own equipment - its not just an investment, its our life support.

My OW class required you provide your own mask, snorkel, fins, booties, weight, and weight belt. After the second pool session I was convinced that I wanted my own BC and regulator. It wasn't that their rental gear used in class wasn't good, it just didnt fit as well as it could...

Now, not only do I own all of my own gear, including tanks, but I have practically enough to completely set up two OW divers, and enough regs for three. Or maybe one cave setup with a stage bottle... :wink:

If you are going to dive a lot, You need to have your own Gear.

Its cheaper in the long run.
Scott

Back when I did my first OW certification, we were required to own the basics (mask, snorkel, fins, weight belt and weights). We used the LDS's BCD, regulator, gauge, and wetsuit. I never forgot just how ill-fitting the weathered BCD was and how uncomfortable the 1/4" beaver tail wetsuit jacket was.

After years of not diving, when I decided to get back into the sport by starting with OW again, I decided to purchase my equipment instead of having to use rental equipment. I dive quite often, so having all of my own gear makes sense.

:doctor:

I agree with ICUROK. It's not only cheaper in the long run to have your own gear, but you don't have to worry about the condition of the rental equipment. Is it clean, well cared for, etc.

Additionally, you really get to know your own gear. You grow to depend on it, care for it, love it, caress it ...................ah, oh.

Let's just say that I can depend on MY gear, it's well taken care of and it takes care of me very well. :rolleyes:

:mean:

I had to buy my mask, fins, snork, and weights for my OW class. I had a 3mil wetsuit from surfing and 6mil boots that work fine but I definately need to buy a thicker suit for the NJ waters in the near future. I've purchased a Mares Axis reg for practically nothing online - $135 and then $70 more for the same octo. I've bought a Sherwood dual guage for just over $100. My next purchase is a BC - probably a Sherwood Avid, and a wrist computer - undecided. I also have a 72 steel tank I bought at a garage sale for $5 with a 2001 hydro (tank is a 1956 us divers) I probably will keep this tank on the boat permanently for emergency use and rent 80's when I dive. I'm also definately going to get a pony tank with a single pressure gauge and reg. Maybe a drysuit after all that.

Unless you're diving a lot - I mean A LOT, that's a weak arguement. That's like saying a drysuit is cheaper per dive than a Wetsuit.

Uh... OK.

Wetsuit: $225
Drysuit: $1700

That's a lot of friggen dives I gotta make. Its a weak arguement when considering the HUGE initial costs. We all know its a sound, long term financial arguement, but its just a tough sell for new divers.

Its the rental car syndrome. I rent them, I beat them bloody, I return them. Someone else gets it next. Rrentals are by and large used by newbies or casual divers. They're rode hard and put away wet.

On my first dive in a rental BC after OW class, the inflator malfunctioned and then fell off - no buoyancy. Scared the $@%^&# out of me. Ditched the weights and headed skyward.

Three schools here for me that drove the decision:

a) Nobody will take care of my gear as good as me

b) I want to know my gear. I want to develop muscle memory so I know where every snap, pull, button and adjustment is - so I can find it in the dark. Think of your car - when's the last time you needed to watch the key into the ignition...? You don't anymore. I want that type of perfect muscle memory with my dive gear. I can't get that if I'm not diving MY stuff.

c) Access - Dive stores close at 6:00 PM. They're not open on Sundays (for the most part...) If I want to go get wet, I don't want to have to plan that far ahead. My stuff is staged, my cylinder is full, and we just go.

Owning your own gear is a no brainer - but you don't have to go for the gold out of the gate...you can own entry level and upgrade. Don't put off owning (and just renting) until you can afford the stuff you'll ultimately keep forever.

Think Resale. I don't get married to gear until I'm at the top of the foodchain - but I can't always make that leap. I have, without exception, been able to sell my stuff for what I paid for it, or more. Sometimes a LOT more. Buy right, keep the box, take care of it, plan to upgrade and sell it on eBay until you move into the gear you'll live with.

k

My general view is that having your own gear and caring for it yourself (mind you, not doing stuff that requires a technician's trained eyes and hands) is good. If I only dived in tropical waters, I would probably just own my ABC, BCD and regs. However, I dive in Sweden as well, and after my first dives in 1 degree Celsius (34 F) I realized how important well fitting gear is. And how much stress it adds when for example your rental drysuit neck seal takes in a couple of drops of freezing water every time you look at your pressure gauge... Sure, equipment is expensive, but I would rather stop diving than let money stop me from feeling safe and confident when 100 feet under.

I would go with your own stuff.
With that being said, if you rent for a trip I would rather rent everything with the exception of the regulator. What is more important then being able to take a breath. I can live with ill fitting equipment, but I can't go without air.

Back
Top Bottom