renting vs. buying?

Have you bought your gear or do you rent it?

• Have all my gear

Votes: 260 85.2%
  • Have personal gear (mask, fin. snorkel), rent thr rest

Votes: 41 13.4%
  • Rent all of it

Votes: 4 1.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chances are your LDS required the purchase of mask, fins & snorkel to certify.

The next thing to buy would be an exposure suit, because after only a few rentals, you could buy one.

Computers come next as they also have high rental cost compared to owning. They require little in the way of upkeep, just batteries.

BC's can be cheap or expensive. One nice thing about the cheap ones is that usually they pack smaller and the right ones are streamlined. The Zegle scout is a good example. BC's don't need much service. Checking them for leaks is something you can do yourself.

To make it pay to own a regulator, you have to dive a bit more frequently as regulators need an annual service. which usually costs as much as a one week rental. My Scubapro with a free parts warranty is $56 a year.

Weights are cheap. Only needed for local diving.

Unless the plan is to do a lot of spur of the moment local diving, you probably do not need to own a tank. Tanks need periodic inspections and hydro tests and the cost of a tank rental is not much more than an air fill. Divers that have somewhere nice to dive locally might buy their own tank because they can own a larger steel tank than the standard aluminum 80 rental tanks. Taking a tank on an aircraft is prohibitively expensive.

luckydiver3 once bubbled...
I was wondering how many people buy their gear vs. renting it.

I did rough calculations of buying good gear vs renting low-end gear. Assuming that i would do two dives per day, I figured I could pay off all my gear in 41 dives. Since a friend of mine had done about 40 dives his first year, I was skeptical that I could do that many and pay the gear off in the first year. My wife was cynical about it also. However, having the gear made it more convenient to dive whenever the fancy struck. Ended up doing 79 dives that first year (June-December). So I think it paid off BIG!

Having your own gear is a must.

wb

leadweight once bubbled...

Unless the plan is to do a lot of spur of the moment local diving, you probably do not need to own a tank. Tanks need periodic inspections and hydro tests and the cost of a tank rental is not much more than an air fill. Divers that have somewhere nice to dive locally might buy their own tank because they can own a larger steel tank than the standard aluminum 80 rental tanks. Taking a tank on an aircraft is prohibitively expensive.

It also depends on the deal that the LDS gives. I was offered unlimited free fills in the first 12 months if I paid $10 extra for the tanks. I paid off BOTH of the tanks with free air. This also allowed spur of moment dives, which by-the-way aren't usually planned or they wouldn't be called "spur of the moment".

wb

I bought almost everything (not tanks or weights) about 2 dives after certifying. My LDS, where I trained, does have good rental gear, replaces about every 2 years. My timing was such that I got a good deal on a package from the rental dept. Already had mask (with prescription lenses), snorkel, fins, boots & a weight belt. I had set a goal to complete 50 dives in my first year (which gets me free air fills at my LDS, managed 52). Did the math and with renting, doing 2 dives per trip at about $65 per trip, buying made alot of sense. Plus the convenience of not having to rush out to the store, pick up gear, rush it back on Monday. About a dozen dives in I got a great deal on a pair of used AL80's and the convenience of having my own is, to me, worth the expense. Also went out and picked up weights. Since then, I've bought a new back inflate BC, dive computer and assorted odds and ends, including another AL80 and 2 steel 72's, all of which needed hydro's. Made a deal on them, conditional on passing, which they all did. Since then my wife has done her certification, she's using the BC I first got (I expect she'll have a new one early next season) and we've bought a complete setup for her.
Since then I built a dive trailer to carry it all, as we were running out of space in our small wagon. Planning ahead, it has racks to carry 8 cylinders, a hanging locker where suits can dry while you travel and a dry locker for the rest. Should be enough room for 4 divers worth of gear, with 2 tanks each. So ready for the kids too, when they take it up. Suits are stored hanging up, keep the tanks filled, we can decide to go diving, hook it up to the car and be out the driveway in five minutes.

Someday, when I'm feeling brave, I'll stop and add up what I've invested. :bonk: :bonk: Better make sure I'm sitting down. But wouldn't hesitate to do it again. Maybe next year a dry suit.

Your own gear is much better. As people mentioned, rental gear is not the best and it adds up $ over the years.

Your own gear can last 10 years or more if kept in shape. Also, you get comfortable using your own gear instead of fiddling with a new BC or dive computer.

I have everything but weights, tanks and computer. My LDS gave me a really good deal on my reg. I got a Sherwood Maximus,Octo and three gauge console for what HE pays for it.

I think you need to own most of your gear for reasons already listed: convience, reliablity and safety, fit and function and if you dive enough cost effectiveness.

I own everything including tanks and weights - but that's because I'm a rescue diver for our local fire dept. So, the kind of and frequency of your diving would help you decide. I do take my own stuff when I go on diving trips
( minus wt. and tanks ).

On my Thanksgiving trip to Coz a DM told me the average cert diver makes 4 dives a year - I guess I don't any average divers !!!!

Todd

If you enjoy diving and plan to go at least once a month or more then I would seriously consider purchasing. Since getting certified in September, my wife and I have spent quite a bit on rentals.

We already have wetsuits and basic gear but everytime we want to go diving it would cost us ~$60/person to rent gear. I have been diving 9 days diving (at least two dives - two tanks) since being certified and my wife has 4 days diving. So just for myself, I would have spent $540 (add my wife and its $780) on rental gear - money we would never see a return on again. Of course, we saw the light early on and began accumulating gear, starting with BC's, as we could afford it so this total is much less. However, we are still renting items as we accumulate gear but plan to purchase additional item as soon as its becomes financially feasible - otherwise we feel that we are throwing money away by renting.

We also frequently faced problems with rental gear. First it was a rip in the BCD pocket ... the pocket where I put my car keys - DOH! Keys were found later that day - lucky me! The next time I rented the mouthpiece on the octo fell off when my buddy gave me the OOA sign (just a drill) - we watched as the mouth piece and zip tie slowly fell apart and began sinking! We could still breath off it, but would have made for an uneasy experience had it been a real OOA situation. Then another time the BC power inflator button would stick randomly, sending my wife towards the surface everytime she touched the inflate button - bad experience for her but she managed brilliantly! She kept laughing when we surfaced because the BC was 'farting' :) until she managed to get the inflator under control. Other minor problems include leaks in the first stage & second stage, free flow problems which were fixed with a quick whack at the second stage, etc.

The point is that its well worth owning equipment not just as an investment but because you will know your equipment and have complete confidence in it. There's nothing like getting a nasty surprise at depth after paying a lot of money to rent the gear!

YMMV
Paul

Buying worked out better for me.

After going to one dive club event and being promised a set of gear...never getting it...and spending $40 to rent it...that convinced me.

I wasn't going to chance going to future events and getting poorly maintained dive club gear (or crappy rental gear for that matter). Even though the dive club gear was free, it was never guaranteed, and always in poor condition.

Besides, your gear will pay for itself in the long run. I'm still waiting for mine, though :tired:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom