renting vs. buying?

Have you bought your gear or do you rent it?

• Have all my gear

Votes: 260 85.2%
  • Have personal gear (mask, fin. snorkel), rent thr rest

Votes: 41 13.4%
  • Rent all of it

Votes: 4 1.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recently purchased all of my gear. I started by renting everything during my Open Water classes. I got excited, started researching gear, and trying out various options in my local dive shop's swimming pool. The BC (backplate and wings) disappeared, the regulator was as smooth and as silky as could be, and on and on. And on.

When it all really hit home, though, was when I had to go back to the rental gear in class. Nothing fit well, the regulator felt like actual work, the fins felt anemic. I can hardly wait until everything arrives next week!

As others have mentioned, I think it makes perfect sense to figure out how often you dive and how much it will cost you to rent the equipment over a reasonable period of time (I used five years). If owning your own equipment makes economic sense, you may well experience a healthy bump in your level of enjoyment.

Todd.

I will rent till I feel comfortable knowing that I am buying the right gear. I do not feel qualified to pick my gear till I get more experience. Better diving in less than ideal gear now and be happy later.

I just bought everything. Since I dive locally, I hate having to return equipment the day after I dive. Plus if I don't go for some reason I just keep my tanks filled for next week.

What will happen when you dive enough times is that you'll get enough dive gear and redundant dive gear to supply a small store. It seems like most divers that I know have a small room or area designated in their house for their gear
:D
Dive Safe,
Caymaniac

I had to buy two sets of gear, one for me, and one for my fiancee. We did lots of research on line, and with my OW instructor (that did not work for the dive store, so he was able to give me non-bias advice on gear). So when I was certified, we had two BC's with wts, two regulators with octo and set up as DIN with Yoke adapter, two 2 piece wet suits, two dive skins, boots, mask, snorkle, fins, two vytec computers, two compass, two hoods, a dive knife, a gear bag, a water cooler, and a tarp (cooler and tarp from target).
When buying everything at once, you can get a great break from your LDS.....I showed him the prices I found on line for my gear, and he matched the prices for all of it, saving me a LOT of cash.
The GOOD thing is I got all our gear for the price I would if I bought it on line, the BAD thing is I had to cough it all up at once (and I just had my credit card all paid off too).
I cannt see spending money on rentals when that money can go towards the real thing.
Next I want to buy a tank then a tent, then I think we will be set!
Ranz

well hear is the way I see it , first if you have your own gear you are more prone to dive more ,
second if you have your own dive gear , you would most likley feel more comfortable and be more intense to take care of it .
second if you get into tech diving or a situation you will be able to handle and respond better I would hope just my two cents.

The more experience (and ability)you have the better job you can do compensating for the lack of familiarity and or quality of rental gear. The newer you are the more you will benifit from the consistancy of owning your own. In practice, however, it's the casual diver who usually rents while the experienced diver has no desire to dive rental stuff. IMO, this is a very bad combination.
To me dive gear is very personal. Do you own your own underware or would you prefer to rent?

I rent everything except my prescription mask, dry snorkel, dive light, and Force fins. I have 100+ dives spread over 10 years but they all involve flying to the Caribbean or Hawaii at three trips a year. I just don't want to haul all the stuff or worry about the maintenance.

I am in the process of buying the Suunto Mosquito computer and would like to get a weight harness. And the back-inflator BC’s are enough to contact Santa about.

Yes, I've rented bad equipment, like the stuck BC inflator (twice) or the brand new regulator that stopped at 80 feet (used the purge for breathing).

Back
Top Bottom