renting vs. buying?

Have you bought your gear or do you rent it?

• Have all my gear

Votes: 260 85.2%
  • Have personal gear (mask, fin. snorkel), rent thr rest

Votes: 41 13.4%
  • Rent all of it

Votes: 4 1.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought. I knew that I enjoyed diving, and I knew that I would probably stick with it. However I also realized that if I didn't just go ahead and buy it, The rental prices would be a deterrant to diving, rather than encouragement to use the equipment that I shelled out the big bucks.

Luckily for me, I had most of my gear waiting for me before I even decided to start diving. My mom had been diving, and quit, and so I now have her tanks, light, regulator setup, mask, snorkel and knife. One of my Dad's BC's was the same size as the one I needed, so I'm using that, and I recently bought my wetsuit, boots, gloves, hood, and fins. I just think its easier to have all my own stuff, this way I know that it worked right the last time I used it, and I know exactly where everything is every time I use it. Just seems to make it easier I guess. :)

Kayla:)

dive2deep-

That BC didn't happen to be a US Divers model did it?

Same thing happened to my dive buddy in Cozumel-she shot to the surface and it resulted in my first rescue.

Good god, you're right. It was a US divers BC. It even looked kind of new, hence I was ticked that it failed on me, especially at the depth I was at.

Now I check my inflator just below the surface, everytime I dive.. No more suprises, not even with my own equip.

I own a Mares BC, and have never had problems with it. Although I have my eyes on the ScubaPro with back inflation.

I wonder if I would like back inflation... I've never used it.

Most of the shops around here will let you try new equipment in the pool, but their rentals are primarily leftovers. It may not be this month's model, but you can still get a good feel for the differences between back inflation verses a jacket BC, large stiff fins, jetfins or split fins, etc.

The folks at the local shops showed me some great stuff, but everything had a great dollar amount. One thing I learned from taking up golf is that you can have good equipment and still not be satisfied. So I bought almost all of my original stuff at pawn shops. (Disclaimer - I did have friends check the stuff out before buying anything) My son now uses my first BC - it works fine, but I fell in love with weight integrated back inflation. He also uses my jetfins - I prefer split fins.

Maybe it's just the folks I run with, but I bet once you get a year of diving in, there's a good chance you're going to change your mind about what type of equipment you REALLY want. One of the reasons is that the first few months are a blast in themselves. It doesn't take much to start leaning from doing some photography towards getting into wreck diving or caving, etc. Making the switch is harder if you've already got 3 grand invested in your present stuff.

Do get a decent reg set. You can find a reliable one without going broke. And if you do change your mind, it will always come in handy as a spare.

It's good to know I'm not the only one who "dove in" head first with gear. Since I'm of the female persuasion, my first confined water dive consisted of my constantly pulling and tugging at the rental BC to keep it from jamming up against my diaphram so I could breathe. Next confined water, new BC. I got an awesome deal on a brand spankin' new Mares Dragonfly with airtrim for girls.

Tried all the regs in the shop for the rest of the pool sessions, figured out what I hated about all of them and then fixed that with my reg purchase, Mares Proton V16.

Computer and octo are obvious choices after the reg.

Wetsuit for my upcoming trip to Belize.

I don't have tanks and weights, but now I need a 7mm suit, hood and gloves for local diving.

Oh well, looks like all my spare money is going to scuba gear.

Good thing I like diving!

Rachel

did I rent my gear, granted I did get a good deal on my first BC and REG set up.... $100.00 from a guy who only used it twice. BUt I have moved up and away from that gear and now own a very new and wonderful SCUBAPRO "Glide Plus" BC and a MK25 first stage and 600 second stage Reg set up with the air 2. Great set up and love it alot.

Rich :mean:

I agree the rental equipment is pretty bad. If you're looking into buying something some shops will let you try it out in the pool. I did this today and I've decided to go with a wing setup after trying the back mounted BC and a regular BC.

Some shops will also let you put your rental fees towards equipment. My LDS told me today that anything that I rent and later buy (within a few months) goes towards the equpiment.

Here's my order of buying:

Have:

Mask, Fins, Snorkel (bought at OW course)
Regulator
Octo
Computer
Compass
Knife
Tarp (really nice for non-boat dives)
Dry box (gotta keep my log book pretty)

Getting soon (in order):

BC
Weight
Wetsuit

Tank

I just bought everything yesterday...woohoo!! It's all getting serviced now, so I won't have it for a week. I can just see myself walking around my house in my Drysuit & BC 'cuz I'm so excited to have it all.

I bought all used rental gear: SeaQuest BC, ScubaPro MK2/R190 Reg, Uwatec Aladdin Air-Integrated Console Computer, and ScubaPro Drysuit with 100 weight Andy's Underwear. The total came to $1690 + tax. The BC, Reg, and underwear are in amazing condition. The drysuit and computer are beat to hell, but are fully functional and can be repaired under a 1 year LDS warranty, should they break. Someday I'll upgrade to a better Drysuit and purchase tanks, but for now I'm happy.

There will be much diving in the future, now that it won't cost me $100/weekend to rent all the gear.

I currently own only personal gear; not that I don't want to purchase the rest...
My LDS has a program that will apply rental fees to the purchase of new equipment, so renting for now is not wasted money.
They also have a deal where you can "rent-to-own"; you select the equipment and they keep it, renting it out to you exclusively until you pay it off, with a minimum of $35 per month...
Even then the equipment I like is more than just a bit out of my budget right now... :(

Back
Top Bottom