Renting wet suits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scSCUBA

Reaction score
Is there any place in Charleston or nearby where you can rent a 5 or 7mm suit? I'm planning on buying a 3mm, but since we are approaching fall/winter, when I dive I'll probably need a thicker suit. Don't really see the need to buy one just yet. As a newbie, I'd want to get other stuff first, bc/reg....

Personally I would make the expenditure. You never know who rented the suit before you and what they might have done in it.

It's like this knew ad for some soap product where this group of garden lovers gets on a bus for a garden tour then you see the sign on the front of the bus being changed to garden tours and the sign that was there before hand was a nudist tour. Then it ends you never know how clean you truely are.:rolleyes:

I agree, that the expenditure for an exposure suit of your own is well worth the cost. Our LDS rents 7mm out but the condition of them leaves a little to be desired. They have been around for a while. After I wore one for OW, I immediately went and purchased my own.

I have an assortment of wet suit coverage, 7mm/5mm Full Henderson hyperstretch, 7mm hood, two 3mm full suits, one shortie, two 1.5 suits, a 0.5 skin and a lycra skin. (The reason I have two of some is that I have lost 25 pounds and the lighter weight suits stretched too much, especially if I wear them on repeat dives they seem to get bigger and they sag, in places and the legs balloon up with water.
I still am trying to lose more weight hope that the ones I have will do for the duration.

I believe that Charleston Scuba rents suits but I too agree with spending the extra money. I will tell you that I had a 3/2 mil and at the end of the season, I purchased another identical suit on sale for way less than I paid for the first one. I did this for a few reasons. One, in the winter months I wanted 6 or 7 mil and this way I can layer the suits. Also, I get cold easily so when the water gets colder but the surface is not bad I wear one and when I get out to the water, I have a dry suit for my next dive. Putting on a wetsuit makes me get cold fast in the water. This helps. You might be able to find two for the price of one right now if you get 3 mils.

So, your say you will were one suit OVER another? Isn't the 2nd suit a B**** to put on? I mean, I was struggling to put on one. It was tight! I can't imagine trying to put a second suit over the other one. Or, is it easier to actually put neoprene over neoprene?

Not really. I know I will sometimes put my farmer john over my shortie if the water is to cold and it slips on easy enough. Though best to not have both on for too long on the surface as easy to overheat and become dehydrated.

scSCUBA once bubbled...
So, your say you will were one suit OVER another? Isn't the 2nd suit a B**** to put on? I mean, I was struggling to put on one. It was tight! I can't imagine trying to put a second suit over the other one. Or, is it easier to actually put neoprene over neoprene?

I use a Henderson Hyperstretch with a hooded vest for Monterey water (52F).

Works nicely...

scSCUBA once bubbled...

Not really but my second suit is one size larger so that may make a difference. I did that on purpose so I would not be restricted in movement. I do not have a Henderson hyperstretch but I have heard great things about them from some friends that I know who swear by them. I would love to have one but I am happy with my O'Neals right now. R

Too bad my lds is 6 hrs away :(

So far the 4 shops in my immediate area are either; too pricey, too arrogant, not enough expertise, not friendly, or no enough inventory.

Right now, I'm 'loyal' to the shop that I got my ow with. I'll probably break down and go over Charleston Scuba. They seem to have the best inventory and knowlege.

There was a great deal when I was in FL at some Diver outlet store. Buy 2 get 1 free. Sale is still going on I think. It would even work buying a farmer john bottom, buy a top then you could get another, say 1 piece free. Don't remember brand, I think it was EVO(?). Don't even know if that's a real brand or not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom