Replacing a hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay, after all of this back and forth discussion, I decided to take the Equipment Specialty Class and did some research on The Googles.

First, clamp the offending regumalator (tank end or mouth end) into a 18# Craftsman Sears & Roebuck Vise. (A lot of people misspell this device as "vice" which will pass spellcheck but is the wrong devise, curiously another word that passes Spelczek). Anyway, crank the snot out of the vise and clamp it down on the first or second stage, stop just before it cracks. (Not the vise, the regulator)

If you do not have access to a vise, you can use a rental car's tire, rocks, or large framed dive buddy's foot. Internet SCUBA experts have been railing about us porkers for years, now what we bring to the table (or better said, what we have removed from it) is going to become invaluable, if but for this fleeting moment.

Then, using what the BSAC divers always take on every dive, the "adjustable spanner" (I suggest at a minimum the 18" model) and after carefully adjusting the parallel jaws to match the with of the nut on the hose, calmp it on and crank the snot out of it.

Lefty loosey, goosey moosey. Right? Depends on the way you look at it, though.

If it doesn't budge, I add a breaker bar (a well-named tool), or if the reg set is plastic bodied, a propane torch. If the reg set body is chromium steel, just smack it with a 3# sledge. If it is a Titanium, you are well-known by your LDS to have way more money than brains, so why not just get out your credit card and let them do it.

Basic tools? Vise Grip Pliers, GOOP Brand Adhesive, Duct Tape, Sterile Gauze Bandages, common 10 Penny Nail, Pneumatic Ratchet Wrench, and wooden shims. And a hammer, always a hammer, a 3# sledge, no, maybe 5#... and some bolt cutters.

Remember that selecting the correct hose color, diameter and length is very important. If you're going "long hose", always get it in pink, as it has a very high C.D.I. Factor.

This then is why the LDS charges you $12 to swap out a hose. Can you come back for that on Tuesday?

Im surprised someone isn't trying to offer you a PADI specialty course for $150.00 dollars, make you do it in the pool twice then four times in the open water then fill out six or seven pages of release forms followed by some email to the headquarters ect ect then you can have another card for your log book.

Im surprised someone isn't trying to offer you a PADI specialty course for $150.00 dollars, make you do it in the pool twice then four times in the open water then fill out six or seven pages of release forms followed by some email to the headquarters ect ect then you can have another card for your log book.
I've seen that offered for underwater cleaning of teeth by an instructor who charged US$10 just for her signature for a pleasure dive.

.... by an instructor who charged US$10 just for her signature for a pleasure dive.

I don't know, I've had some very pleasurable dives....

Well worth the ten bucks.

Back
Top Bottom