Replacing Thermalution batteries

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've built a testing rig for the batteries. It's creates about a 1.2 A load and I measure the voltage every 2 seconds. That way I can create a graph to see how the voltage deteriates over time. I then match the batteries up so the ones that have the most similiar curve and last the longest, I put together. I've had one battery just die (well, it started to expand and with Lithium Ion, that's a dangerous fire hazard). There are actually two flat 3.7v cells in each pack (at least the ones available on this side of the pond). If one of the cells dies, the pack is dead and there is no way to replace the cells (epoxy potted cells in an aluminum case).

I've not figured out an alternate source at this point...

You mentioned you might have a replacement/repair switch for a hard-wired Thermalution heated shirt, or possibly a working shirt. I am looking for one as my switch has died on my shirt
Jane,

At this point, I only have one extra vest and it's a "Red" switch version (meaning, it's only good to 15m depth). It works fine and is a large. I don't know if you are interested in it. If so, Just let me know.

Cheers,

Gary M

I've built a testing rig for the batteries. It's creates about a 1.2 A load and I measure the voltage every 2 seconds. That way I can create a graph to see how the voltage deteriates over time. I then match the batteries up so the ones that have the most similiar curve and last the longest, I put together. I've had one battery just die (well, it started to expand and with Lithium Ion, that's a dangerous fire hazard). There are actually two flat 3.7v cells in each pack (at least the ones available on this side of the pond). If one of the cells dies, the pack is dead and there is no way to replace the cells (epoxy potted cells in an aluminum case).

I've not figured out an alternate source at this point...
I'd like to chat more about this. I couldnsee this being used for measuring power being delivered to dive lights

Jane,

At this point, I only have one extra vest and it's a "Red" switch version (meaning, it's only good to 15m depth). It works fine and is a large. I don't know if you are interested in it. If so, Just let me know.

Cheers,

Gary M
Thank you but I do want it to dive at lease 100ft

I'd like to chat more about this. I couldnsee this being used for measuring power being delivered to dive lights
I test all batteries (Old RC Car racer).. 18650, 21700, Olympus LI-92, Thermolution, etc... Just setup the test rig and cycle them. It's very manual (at this point) since I'm only doing this for me. It was the way I was able to test all the JUNK Olympus knockoff batteries and determine that ONLY the factory batteries were actually 1300 mah..

Please PM if you would like to discuss more.

Thanks,

Gary Miyakawa

I've had switches die on 2 shirts -- hence my sudden search for a replacement.

In the first case, the switch was 'inconsistent' for a while -- it would turn on, sometimes flicker, sometimes not turn on, etc. and it degraded within about a week of diving to not working at all. Thermulation (Taiwan) replaced the shirt.

The replacement switch wasn't working when I tested it last month, after working fine during a trip last year. Maybe it was poor cleaning on my part, maybe it was poor storage on my part, but whatever the cause, this problem manifested as a switch that felt "sticky" as soon as I tried it in November, then it never worked.

I've got multiple sets of good batteries, so I'm certain those faults were in the switches.

Jane -- I agree that you should test the batteries. When charged, they should read about 8.4VDC.

I'm tempted to cut open the dead switch on my shirt and check whether it's a simple mechanical issue (ie., maybe the metal contact at the back of the physical slider corroded) or electrical, and see what it would take to fix it. Assuming that the switch itself can't be fixed, I'd probably get a cheap diving light, with a plastic body and simple switch, cut the switch off the Thermulation shirt, drill a hole into the flashlight and wire the shirt into the flashlight switch, then fill the interior of the flashlight with electrical potting compound (epoxy) in place of the battery, sealing the hole.
Let me know if you try :)

FYI, I've been in contact with Thermalution.eu. They still have some inventory.. I lost the remote for my Yellow Vest and they had one in stock (thru www.sublub.nl)... If you need something, you might contact them and see if they might have it.

Cheers,

Gary Miyakawa

Thanks for the reply. A distributor told me that Thermalution shutdown due to the founder's death.

I would like to charge/discharge cycle, but the charger acts like the batteries are full while the vest powers off immediately after you turn it on. So I haven't been able to use the vest to drain the batteries. You sound like an electronics guy.. any ideas for a good way to drain the batteries without using the vest?
Long shot I know but did you find a solution for this? Mine (red grade) are doing this too. Just over a year old :(

Long shot I know but did you find a solution for this? Mine (red grade) are doing this too. Just over a year old :(
I've built a constant amperage discharge unit that allows me to test the batteries. What I have done is bought a few batteries from Ebay (when they show up) and test them. Sometimes they are junk, sometimes they are good. They I group the good ones together. I've not come up with a way to "built" a replacement battery at this point :(.... There are a couple resellers in europe that still have "new" batteries, I just don't know if they can ship them to the US. Google search into Europe might let you get in touch with them..

Good luck!

I've built a constant amperage discharge unit that allows me to test the batteries. What I have done is bought a few batteries from Ebay (when they show up) and test them. Sometimes they are junk, sometimes they are good. They I group the good ones together. I've not come up with a way to "built" a replacement battery at this point :(.... There are a couple resellers in europe that still have "new" batteries, I just don't know if they can ship them to the US. Google search into Europe might let you get in touch with them..

Good luck!
Thanks. Miflexhoseshop in the uk have some batteries in stock. feels a bit risky though, mine are only just over a year old...i prefer my dive kit to last more than a year!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom