Require Full Name?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ucfdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Could we implement a policy requiring that divers share their full name?

Any particular reason? The name I am frequently called by is not my legal name. I realize some people cause trouble through the anonymity of not having their name displayed,... yet there is some comfort of not being singles out buy being anonymous.

This is a "members only" forum. It was created so we can have more advanced discussions without concern of non-technical divers interjecting or gathering information without proper training. There has to be a certain level of trust in here if those discussions are ever going to take place. When people like cavemn come in and start posting nonsense it affects the level of discussions because there's not trust. To most, he's simply a troll at this point. With that occurring, we might as well unlock the forum and open it up to everyone.

I don't mind using my full name ... most folks on here already know it anyway. But I can understand why some folks might not want to.

I don't see how knowing someone's full name provides them any more credibility ... if someone's in the habit of delivering garbage, they're not suddenly going to start delivering gems just because you know who they are ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I think what would be more productive is a user group just for you and the people you'd like to involve in discussions, like how there is the KOH group. Even if people give full names, there will still be no way to keep out trolls or people you don't like.

True, there will always be trolls, but at least we'll know who they are. And elimiinating anonymity usually eliminates some of the trolls. Full disclosure doesn't have to occur in the sig line so all could see, but it would be nice to have it back here.

I will add that cavemn did PM me and disclosed his name and it hasn't made a difference. I never heard of him or the person whose name he dropped. I have a feeling I was supposed to be impressed but it didn't happen.

There will always be trolls, and thats just a fact of internet forums. But cutting down on them would be better for everyone. Any reduction is a good reduction, imo.

I would love to have real, constructive conversations with people from all different backgrounds, but I'm not interested in cryptic messages, beating around the bush, or other associated shenanigans. Keep it real.

I would love to have real, constructive conversations with people from all different backgrounds, but I'm not interested in cryptic messages, beating around the bush, or other associated shenanigans. Keep it real.

Agree. Sometimes we do things differently or have different priorities. I can agree to disagree mostly. But cryptic beating around the bush pseudo-trolling is just BS.

Agree. Sometimes we do things differently or have different priorities. I can agree to disagree mostly. But cryptic beating around the bush pseudo-trolling is just BS.

Agreed. I shut those down. I also reposted a reminder in the introduction thread. Quite a few people included names but some have not.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom