Rescue after Fundies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

b1gcountry

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
My wife is GUE trained to Fundamentals. She has a couple PADI and SSI specialties, but not enough for an advanced card from either agency. She would like to take a rescue class, but without the AOW, she can't get into any PADI classes.

Has anyone around here taken Fundies, and went on to rescue without the hassle of an AOW class?

Tom

My wife is GUE trained to Fundamentals. She has a couple PADI and SSI specialties, but not enough for an advanced card from either agency. She would like to take a rescue class, but without the AOW, she can't get into any PADI classes.

Has anyone around here taken Fundies, and went on to rescue without the hassle of an AOW class?

Tom

So find a NAUI instructor who's teaching a Rescue class ... NAUI doesn't require AOW as a prerequisite to Rescue.

... or sign her up for this class ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

So find a NAUI instructor who's teaching a Rescue class ... NAUI doesn't require AOW as a prerequisite to Rescue.

What Bob said.

I have no "advanced open water" cards, but I do have rescue (maybe even "advanced" rescue) through NAUI.

If there are any UTD instructors in the Midwest, I might very well sign us both up for that class. It's been awhile since I've pulled anyone out of the water (a good thing?). Thanks, Bob, I will look up NAUI instructors around here.

Tom

Tom, the exact pre-req for PADI Rescue is:

To participate in the rescue training sessions in confined water only, the student must be certified as a PADI Open Water Diver or have a qualifying certification from another training organization. This is defined as proof of certification as an entry-level diver with at least four required training dives

To participate in the rescue training sessions in open water, and to participate in the open water rescue scenarios, the student diver must be certified as a PADI Adventure Diver who has completed the Underwater Navigation Adventure Dive or have a qualifying certification from another training organization (defined as proof of certification beyond entry-level with documentation of underwater navigation experience.)

Personally, I'd be happy to teach a Rescue class to anyone who has done an OW class plus Fundies provided they can show a log book with "documentation of underwater navigation experience".

If they didn't have that, I'd go for a dive with someone and just check they can use a compass and be fine with it.

You simply don't need to have to do an AOW class to do PADI Rescue. It's a shop upsell to say that you need to.

EDIT: Chances are that if your wife has done a couple of PADI specialties that she can be certified as a PADI Adventure Diver, which meets the pre-reqs "officially" without my more liberal interpretation of standards that I probably should phone PADI to check.... :)

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom