Rescue course -- in sidemount?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a reasonably new Instructor I was certainly apprehensive about teaching a course in a rig whilst familiar with not been taught myself how to handle some of the attributes of the course. I uphold my opening statement after your expressed interest of completing Rescue in sidemount, it is likely that I would cut you out of your harness. Your perseverance paid off, your doggedness to perform the skills to the mastery level required inspired me. It was a great learning curve for all.

I truly am very proud of your commitment to the course, all four of us involved learned a lot and we were working together as a team. And didn't we have fun!!!

Well down...We tip our fins to you!

As a reasonably new Instructor I was certainly apprehensive about teaching a course in a rig whilst familiar with not been taught myself how to handle some of the attributes of the course. I uphold my opening statement after your expressed interest of completing Rescue in sidemount, it is likely that I would cut you out of your harness. Your perseverance paid off, your doggedness to perform the skills to the mastery level required inspired me. It was a great learning curve for all.

I truly am very proud of your commitment to the course, all four of us involved learned a lot and we were working together as a team. And didn't we have fun!!!

Well down...We tip our fins to you!

Thanks, James - whether or not we broke new ground with that course, I think we certainly broke a new trail.

And if I drowned for real, in that rig -- if I survived, that would matter far more than my cut-away gear; and if I didn't, then cutting off my gear REALLY wouldn't matter!

:DThis thread is useless without pics!
James had the shop's office-manager take some photos of the pool session, where I proved I could get out of the rig while keeping up the rhythm of 'mouth-to-cheek resuscitation.' Maybe he'll post a few here....

I'm diving a Katana, which has more in common with a Hogarthian harness than with a jacket BC; it doesn't have quick-release buckles on the shoulder straps, and of course it's back-buoyancy. I struggled a few times to get clear of the straps, bungees, and regulators, but ... perseverance won out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom