Rescue Diver Scenarios - Trouble with cramping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey there

Here is a point that you may want to think about, when people do exercises or skills in the water as part of a course the temptation is always to try to do them as fast as possible in order to try to demonstrate proficiency or maybe just to get them done and out of the way, often on the rescue course this is amplified and people often make sloppy mistakes as a result of rushing the scenarios. I am not implying you are making these mistakes or even that you are trying to do things too fast but this is just an observation from other courses.

Next time you are in the water trying this scenario, why don't you just try it a little slower, you say it is the part where you are swimming to shore/boat, just don't kick so hard, its the strain that is causing the cramp. Now then if this were a real situation and the victim was not breathing then of course you would want to get them out of the water ASAP but then if it were a real situation and you were trying to get them out of the water ASAP and you seized up with cramp then that would not help the victim at all. For that reason if it is the speed at which you are trying to swim that is causing the issue then it would be a good move to slow it down and find the actual speed that you can move at in order to get the victim and yourself out of the water cramp free, a little slower is better than not at all.

I am certainly not an expert in this area, especially considering that I am a new diver. But, I am wondering if it might be mechanics of the OPs kicks?? If the OP is used to using mostly the lower leg to kick when doing normal scuba, that kick may not be sufficient to move the OP and the victim through the water without a lot more effort. If that is the case, a kick that uses more of the larger muscles in the upper leg and hips may be more efficient and less tiring. If I remember correctly, competitive swimmers use the hips and upper legs to kick versus the lower leg because it is more efficient. Additionally, the type of fin being used may also affect the effort. For instance, a split fin may not work as effectively if the OP is kicking harder in an effort to move he and the victim because of the way it channels water. Just a thought!

Hey there

Here is a point that you may want to think about, when people do exercises or skills in the water as part of a course the temptation is always to try to do them as fast as possible in order to try to demonstrate proficiency or maybe just to get them done and out of the way, often on the rescue course this is amplified and people often make sloppy mistakes as a result of rushing the scenarios. I am not implying you are making these mistakes or even that you are trying to do things too fast but this is just an observation from other courses.

Next time you are in the water trying this scenario, why don't you just try it a little slower, you say it is the part where you are swimming to shore/boat, just don't kick so hard, its the strain that is causing the cramp. Now then if this were a real situation and the victim was not breathing then of course you would want to get them out of the water ASAP but then if it were a real situation and you were trying to get them out of the water ASAP and you seized up with cramp then that would not help the victim at all. For that reason if it is the speed at which you are trying to swim that is causing the issue then it would be a good move to slow it down and find the actual speed that you can move at in order to get the victim and yourself out of the water cramp free, a little slower is better than not at all.

Yes, very good point. Even with the potassium pills, I do notice occasionally that really strenuous kicking tends to encourage cramps. Then I slow down and maybe use the leg without the "oncoming" cramp" a bit more, which keeps the cramp at bay.

Good advice above. Here's a couple more thoughts.

When my legs start to cramp I change my kick from flutter to frog. This changes the muscle groups and gives the tired ones a rest. I can keep going by doing this.

If the problem repeats itself please consider getting a medical evaluation. While low potassium is generally associated with cramping; sodium, calcium, and even magnesium all play a role in muscle contractions and can precipitate cramping. Even more serious would be claudication. This is poor blood flow to the legs, and is a sign of other cardiovascular disease. You would want to get this treated before continuing in diving - else you're likely to be the victim rather than the rescuer.

Any other medical professionals want to chime in? This might be better posted in the Diving Medicine forum.

When my legs start to cramp I change my kick from flutter to frog. This changes the muscle groups and gives the tired ones a rest. I can keep going by doing this.

Yes, another thing that at times works for me. Varicose veins may be part of my heredity cramp problems.

I think this thread presents 100% good advice. I want to underscore the value of swimming with your scuba fins on, doing pool lap swims of at least 400 meter intervals with grab turns, not flips. (the point is to build up you legs, not set speed records) As you stretch before diving (which everyone should do) are you using the "ski jump" stretch? It is a good one. Lean against a wall while standing, and slowly walk your feet away from the wall. When about 2 feet away, have the bottom of each foot in turn flat on the floor and lean forward slowly. Then move your feet back a couple inches and repeat, first one foot then the other. Then repeat the move and lean to get a good stretch. Also be aware of your kicking style. Even in rescue scenarios, don't "bicycle pedal." I see students doing that, and they are more prone to cramps then those who "stay long" in their body position. With your perceptiveness and medical back round, and all the good advice in this thread, I am sure you will resolve the issue.
DivemasterDennis scubasnobs.com

... or perhaps you're just trying too hard. I often have to explain to my students that getting their "unconscious" victim to shore as promptly as possible is important ... but if they wear themselves out getting there they aren't going to be much use to the victim. Perhaps the best solution is to be more deliberate with your actions and not overstress yourself in the process of attempting to rescue someone else.

First rule of rescue is to not create a second person who needs help ... it's sometimes a fine line, but an important lesson to take away is to not push yourself beyond your own limits ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

You mentioned this happened on the last evolution. The thing i am thinking is that this is simply due to overuse from the strains of the class.

One easy way that might have helped is you mention you were towing an 'unresponsive diver' back to shore after 'raising them from the depth' (sorry I had to). Perhaps you may have tried a few different tows to change your muscles that are being used.

Not sure if this is allowed by your instructor but my SaR instructor said as long as they were unconscious your main goal was to get them to the beach or boat, didnt matter how.

I would recommend starting out with the tank tow and then once I got a little tired I would switch over to the dosey-do, heck with an unconscious diver I might even try the fin tips tow. That gives you three different options that use three different muscle groups to prevent you from cramping up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom