Rescue Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JPTM

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm currently an AOW with a little bit more than 100 dives and I'm considering taking getting Padi Rescue Diver certification. I'd like to know opinions about the course and how much it improves divers' capabilities.

Thanks.

the course. Rescue courses are physically demanding but very well worth the effort. Not only will you learn rescue procedures but you will learn what to watch for to help prevent rescues from having to happen.

Is your goal to learn rescue or to become a better diver? There is also a Master diver class (do they have that in PADI?), and a variety of specialty courses. Rescue is valuable for anyone, and if u have over 100 dives, you would probably do pretty well. It is more hard work than "fun" if you ask me. Ours required first aid & CPR & DAN O2. I'm glad I took it, but I have to renew my certification annually in these areas. Rescue will be needed if you are considering Divemastering or teaching.

It's a great class, a lot of work, and really satisfying after it's done. You will learn self-rescue skills as well as techniques for rescuing others, and ways to prevent problems before they occur.

Although most of the focus in the course is on emergency management, you will still probably improve your own diving in certain ways, just because you will become more aware of certain aspects of your own dive techniques when you take the course.

With over 100 dives, you are probably quite proficient at handling your gear in and out of the water, so you won't probably gain much from the course in that respect, but there are so many valuable parts to the course that it is still 100% worth taking. It may help you save someone else's life, or your own.

otter-cat

Probably the best course of the lot.....

In reply to art.chick
is also a Master diver class (do they have that in PADI?), and a variety of specialty courses.

Well PADI kind of has it - to get a master scuba diver cert you must be rescue diver and 5 specialities and then send off your dollars to PADI for another badge!

From what I've heard it is only important if you really want to climb the PADI instructing ladder - gives you extra brownie points somewhere along the line....

Cheers
Jonathan

Go for it. I'm halfway through my PADI Rescue course and it is well worth it. My confidence level is up as I've mastered new skills.

Regards

I would second the opinions on taking the rescue course. IMO it helps your confidence diving as well as adding rescue techniques to your skill set. At least in PADI, the Master Scuba Diver rating is an aknowledgment of certifications accomplished (Rescue, 50 dives and 5 specialty certs as previously mentioned) and not a class in itself. Have fun!

David C.
PADI MSDT 150522

Thank you guys for your replies. I'm convinced.

Take care

Back
Top Bottom