Rescue Diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FWIW, my instructor said tonight that you have to have 20 dives by the time you finish the course - but that the 4 RD scenarios count as logged dives. So, between the 9 you need by the time you finish AOW, and the 4 you get from RD, you only need to come up with 7 more dives.

FWIW, my instructor said tonight that you have to have 20 dives by the time you finish the course - but that the 4 RD scenarios count as logged dives. So, between the 9 you need by the time you finish AOW, and the 4 you get from RD, you only need to come up with 7 more dives.
Fine, if he wants to have extra requirements. I'm assuming that he would not submit the PIC to PADI if you were short of dives? If so, it would be interesting to challenge this!

For PADI divers, dive logging is necessary for the Divemaster and Instructor ratings. Numbers of certifications of students are necessary for higher instructional ratings.

If a diver can start a PADI Divemaster course with as little as 20 dives, it's obvious you don't have to have the 20 dives to start the Rescue Diver course.

All that being said, an instructor does well to recommend to his/her students what he/she considers is appropriate for that student. The student is then free to insist on doing a course with that instructor if they have the minimum requirements or seek instruction for the course elsewhere.

I did OW and AOW in pretty quick succession, did about another ten dives and did Rescue.So with Rescue finished I had about 35 logged recreational dives including my training. I didn't move on to pro levels until after 100. Between Rescue and DM I did Nitrox and SCR.

Fine, if he wants to have extra requirements. I'm assuming that he would not submit the PIC to PADI if you were short of dives? If so, it would be interesting to challenge this!
I dunno, cause like I said, no one ever asked me for a C-card or log book. I could have 0 dives for all they know.

I dunno, cause like I said, no one ever asked me for a C-card or log book. I could have 0 dives for all they know.

PADI Instructors can check to find out what certifications students have and don't need to see their cards. To borrow a phrase from Ronald Reagan, "Trust but verify."

PADI Instructors can check to find out what certifications students have and don't need to see their cards. To borrow a phrase from Ronald Reagan, "Trust but verify."
Maybe so. But I doubt they did. I also could have given them any name - they never asked for ID :)

Whilst that is true, it is worth enrolling on the EFR couse first (it's only a one day class,

Unless we are talking about different certifications, a first responder course is at least 20 hours around here. It also has recertification requirements of 12 hours refresher training every 2 years.

Even a Red cross first aid course is longer than 1 day.

Steve

While I agree that solid skills would make a would-be-rescuer more effective, I think the pre-requisites are at odds with what happens in real life.

I remember reading last year's DAN accident report (Maybe it was 2006) and the numbers were interesting to say the least. Most fatalities occurred to novice divers or to very experienced divers doing deep or technical dives.

Basically as the diver increased in skills and ability the accidents decreased until the point where divers began to take on more challenging dives that lead to more accidents. Looking at those numbers one would think Rescue would be needed earlier on in a divers training rather than later on.

FWIW, NAUI's only pre-requisite to Rescue diver is an OW certification.

Wiz

Last edited:
Looking at those number one would think Rescue would be needed earlier on in a divers training rather than later on.
I agree. 100%.

Unless we are talking about different certifications, a first responder course is at least 20 hours around here. It also has recertification requirements of 12 hours refresher training every 2 years.

Even a Red cross first aid course is longer than 1 day.

Steve
No; I am talking about the same course, though we did do the book stuff as a pre-requisite. The day was all practical, after watching the dreaded and badly acted "hi, I am an emergency responder" video! My initial first aid course (MANY years ago) was one week. The refreshers (every 3 years) were 2 days. This PADI EFR course was definitely the shortest yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom