Rescue Diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As I posted earlier, PADI makes no minimum requirement for RD if OW and AOWD have been done through them. I recommend all divers who are able and willing to make the commitment to reach RD level ASAP but have some fun dives in between. The purpose of diving is to dive after all.

Regardless of what the IM says, to ask students to have at least 20 dives before RD seems reasonable. It means they'll have 9 training dives and 11 fun dives.

Bringing an inconscious diver to the surface and dealing with an unconscious diver on the surface are the IMHO the 2 most important exercises and should be done to perfection.

I agree that it is reasonable to ask for 20 dives, but some posters here seem to think it is a PADI requirement. That is simply a mis-reading of the sentence that asks for 20 dives if the pre-requisite training was not provided by PADI.

It's a different matter if a PADI instructor insists on a 20 dive pre-requisite though. That could be challenged through PADI (if you can be bothered). :wink:

In my opinion ... Rescue Diving for Public Safety Divers is not and should not be compared to the recreational specialty "Rescue Diver". When I teach PSDs rescue, I am teaching them Self Rescue skills and how to rescue each other. The emphasis in training is to keep THEM alive - not a victim.

This does not imply that we do not train for emergencies where our goal is to save a life. Nor do I mean to imply that we do not teach recreational skills and techniques. By its' nature, what we do is much more intense than recreational diving and should never be confused with recreational diving.

There are very few programs that specifically teach rescue skills. The PSD Training agencies like PSDA, ERDI, Dive Rescue and LGS all have components of rescue included in their programs. These agencies are not recreational scuba agencies. Recreational agencies teach, train and certify recreational divers - not public safety divers.

Mark Phillips
Editor / Publisher
PSDiver Monthly
www.PSDiver.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom