Rescue Diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaFreak:
I'm glad you're asking :D

When it comes to self rescue, you gotta know where all your equipment is without thinking, i.e dump valves, does your BCD have a kidney dump or a shoulder dump? Is your SMB on your right or left side? Is your spare mask in your right or left BCD pocket? Or maybe its in your drysuit pocket? How about your pocket mask, which pocket is that in? Do you have a first aid kit in your car?

These are the kind of things that you will find important during your rescue course. I'm sure others can add to what I've posted.

Make sense Nautical :D ?

That's not good...I barely know where I am half the time :wink:

But seriously that makes sense - the way my instructor taught us to do the buddy check (bwraf) was for one buddy to do it, then the other, so we both know where releases etc. are, and how weights come out etc. I am really excited about going for it, but like I said need to be a better diver first!

Nauticalbutnice :fruit:

pilot fish:
Do you carry and extra fin in case a strap breaks?

nope- i carry a spare strap!

pilot fish:
I'm just not prerpared to carry all that stuff. But if it works for you then that's great because it makes you feel better

It's not a case of making me feel better, its a case of having the right tools for me and my buddy (and perhaps my student).
When you say you're not prepared, do mean you couldn't be bothered :06:

ScubaFreak:
nope- i carry a spare strap!

It's not a case of making me feel better, its a case of having the right tools for me and my buddy (and perhaps my student).
When you say you're not prepared, do mean you couldn't be bothered :06:

Yeah, extra fin strap, sure, but not in my bc, and not an extra fin. By unprepared I do mean I could not be bothered to carry an extra mask in my bc. It would crush my rattle, gloves and slate.

pilot fish:
Yeah, extra fin strap, sure, but not in my bc, and not an extra fin. By unprepared I do mean I could not be bothered to carry an extra mask in my bc. It would crush my rattle, gloves and slate.

I dont carry an extra fin strap in my BC. I carry a mask, a flare and a pocket mask and thats it. My slate is on my wrist. that gives me an empty drysuit pocket (which normally has a spare torch or something like that). I'm by no means overloaded with gear!

ScubaFreak:
I dont carry an extra fin strap in my BC. I carry a mask, a flare and a pocket mask and thats it. My slate is on my wrist. that gives me an empty drysuit pocket (which normally has a spare torch or something like that). I'm by no means overloaded with gear!

A flare? Now that's an item I've overlooked ,since I have dive sausage and whistle.

Windminstrel:
What's a pocket mask? Is that one of those CPR mask thingies?

Yes it's one of those CPR mask....thingies....

pilot fish:
A flare? Now that's an item I've overlooked ,since I have dive sausage and whistle

Whistle and sausage aint much use if the coast guard are lookin for you at night!!! Yes i agree- it is a bit of a worst case scenario, but hey...i might be glad of it someday...

ScubaFreak:
Yes it's one of those CPR mask....thingies....

Whistle and sausage aint much use if the coast guard are lookin for you at night!!! Yes i agree- it is a bit of a worst case scenario, but hey...i might be glad of it someday...

I can't imagine what this CPR mask you're talking about looks like?

If the CG is looking for me a night, I'm already in deep do-do .

The CPR mask will aid in giving breaths to a non breathing diver. It prevents water from entering their air system between breaths as it fits over the mouth and nose and some models allow pure oxygen to be given through a valve. I believe all qualified rescue divers (and above) should be carrying them - not to be used on themselves but in case there is an emergency involving another diver.

Back
Top Bottom